The following events took place on December 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 627Battle of Nineveh: A Byzantine army under Emperor Heraclius defeats Emperor Khosrau II’s Persian forces, commanded by General Rhahzadh.
- 1098First Crusade: Siege of Ma'arrat al-Numan – Crusaders breach the town’s walls and massacre about 20,000 inhabitants. After finding themselves with insufficient food, they reportedly resort to cannibalism.
- 1388Mary of Enghien sells the lordship of Argos and Nauplia to the Republic of Venice.
- 1408The Order of the Dragon a monarchical chivalric order is created by Sigismund of Luxembourg, then King of Hungary.
- 1781American Revolutionary War: Second Battle of Ushant – A British fleet led by HMS Victory defeats a French fleet.
- 1787Pennsylvania becomes the second state to ratify the United States Constitution, five days after Delaware became the first.
- 1862American Civil War: USS Cairo sinks on the Yazoo River, becoming the first armored ship to be sunk by an electrically detonated mine.
- 1870Joseph H. Rainey of South Carolina becomes the second black U.S. congressman, the first being Hiram Revels.
- 1897Belo Horizonte, the first planned city in Brazil, is founded.
- 1901Guglielmo Marconi receives the first transatlantic radio signal (the letter “S” [***] in Morse Code), at Signal Hill in St John’s, Newfoundland.
- 1911Delhi replaces Calcutta as the capital of India.
- 1911King George V of the United Kingdom and Mary of Teck are enthroned as Emperor and Empress of India.
- 1915President of the Republic of China, Yuan Shikai, announces his intention to reinstate the monarchy and proclaim himself Emperor of China.
- 1917In Nebraska, Father Edward J. Flanagan founds Boys Town as a farm village for wayward boys.
- 1918The Flag of Estonia is raised atop the Pikk Hermann for the first time.
- 1925The Majlis of Iran votes to crown Reza Khan as the new Shah of Iran, starting the Pahlavi dynasty.
- 1935Lebensborn Project, a Nazi reproduction program, is founded by Heinrich Himmler.
- 1936Xi'an Incident: The Generalissimo of the Republic of China, Chiang Kai-shek, is kidnapped by Zhang Xueliang.
- 1937Second Sino-Japanese War: USS Panay incident – Japanese aircraft bomb and sink U.S. gunboat USS Panay on the Yangtze river in China.
- 1939Winter War: Battle of Tolvajärvi – Finnish forces defeat those of the Soviet Union in their first major victory of the conflict.
- 1939HMS Duchess sinks after a collision with HMS Barham off the coast of Scotland with the loss of 124 men.
- 1940World War II: Approximately 70 people are killed in the Marples Hotel, Fitzalan Square, Sheffield, as a result of a German air raid.
- 1941World War II: Fifty-four Japanese A6M Zero fighters raid Batangas Field, Philippines. Jesús Villamor and four Filipino fighter pilots fend them off; César Basa is killed.
- 1941World War II: USMC F4F “Wildcats” sink the first 4 major Japanese ships off Wake Island.
- 1941World War II: The United Kingdom declares war on Bulgaria. Hungary and Romania declare war on the United States. India declares war on Japan.
- 1941Adolf Hitler declares the imminent extermination of the Jews at a meeting in the Reich Chancellery
- 1942World War II: German troops begin Operation Winter Storm, an attempt to relieve encircled Axis forces during the Battle of Stalingrad.
- 1942A fire in a hostel in St. John’s, Newfoundland, kills 100 people.
- 1946A fire at a New York City ice plant spreads to a nearby tenement, killing 37 people.
- 1948Malayan Emergency: Batang Kali massacre – 14 members of the Scots Guards stationed in Malaya allegedly massacre 24 unarmed civilians and set fire to the village.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!