The following events took place on December 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 36 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1294Saint Celestine V resigns the papacy after only five months; Celestine hoped to return to his previous life as an ascetic hermit.
- 1545The Council of Trent begins.
- 1577Sir Francis Drake sets sail from Plymouth, England, on his round-the-world voyage.
- 1636The Massachusetts Bay Colony organizes three militia regiments to defend the colony against the Pequot Indians. This organization is recognized today as the founding of the National Guard of the United States.
- 1642Abel Tasman reaches New Zealand.
- 1643English Civil War: The Battle of Alton takes place in Hampshire.
- 1758The English transport ship Duke William sinks in the North Atlantic, killing over 360 people.
- 1769Dartmouth College is founded by the Reverend Eleazar Wheelock, with a royal charter from King George III, on land donated by Royal governor John Wentworth.
- 1862American Civil War: At the Battle of Fredericksburg, Confederate General Robert E. Lee defeats Union Major General Ambrose Burnside.
- 1867A Fenian bomb explodes in Clerkenwell, London, killing six.
- 1928George Gershwin’s An American in Paris is first performed.
- 1937Second Sino-Japanese War: Battle of Nanking – The city of Nanjing, defended by the National Revolutionary Army under the command of General Tang Shengzhi, falls to the Japanese. This is followed by the Nanking Massacre, in which Japanese troops rape and murder hundreds of thousands of civilians.
- 1938The Holocaust: The Neuengamme concentration camp opens in the Bergedorf district of Hamburg, Germany.
- 1939World War II: Battle of the River Plate – Captain Hans Langsdorff of the German Deutschland-class cruiser (pocket battleship) Admiral Graf Spee engages with Royal Navy cruisers HMS Exeter, HMS Ajax and HMNZS Achilles.
- 1941World War II: The Kingdom of Hungary and Kingdom of Romania declare war on the United States.
- 1943World War II: The Massacre of Kalavryta by German occupying forces in Greece.
- 1949The Knesset votes to move the capital of Israel to Jerusalem.
- 1959Archbishop Makarios III becomes the first President of Cyprus.
- 1960While Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia visits Brazil, his Imperial Bodyguard seizes the capital and proclaims him deposed and his son, Crown Prince Asfa Wossen, Emperor.
- 1962NASA launches Relay 1, the first active repeater communications satellite in orbit.
- 1967Constantine II of Greece attempts an unsuccessful counter-coup against the Regime of the Colonels.
- 1968Brazilian President Artur da Costa e Silva issues AI-5 (Institutional Act No. 5), enabling government by decree and suspending habeas corpus.
- 1972Apollo program: Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt begin the third and final extra-vehicular activity (EVA) or “Moonwalk” of Apollo 17. To date they are the last humans to set foot on the Moon.
- 1974Malta becomes a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1977A DC-3 aircraft chartered from the Indianapolis-based National Jet crashes near Evansville Regional Airport, killing 29, including the University of Evansville basketball team, support staff and boosters of the team.
- 1979The Canadian Government of Prime Minister Joe Clark is defeated in the House of Commons, prompting the 1980 Canadian election.
- 1981General Wojciech Jaruzelski declares martial law in Poland to prevent dismantling of the communist system by Solidarity.
- 1988PLO Chairman Yasser Arafat gives a speech at a UN General Assembly meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, after United States authorities refused to grant him a visa to visit UN headquarters in New York.
- 1989The Troubles: Attack on Derryard checkpoint – The Provisional Irish Republican Army launches an attack on a British Army temporary vehicle checkpoint near Rosslea, Northern Ireland. Two British soldiers are killed and one badly wounded.
- 2000The “Texas Seven” escape from the John B. Connally Unit near Kenedy, Texas, and go on a robbery spree, during which police officer Aubrey Hawkins is shot and killed.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)