The following events took place on December 6. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1060Béla I is crowned king of Hungary.
- 1240Mongol invasion of Rus': Kiev under Daniel of Galicia and Voivode Dmytro falls to the Mongols under Batu Khan.
- 1534The city of Quito in Ecuador is founded by Spanish settlers led by Sebastián de Belalcázar.
- 1648Colonel Thomas Pride of the New Model Army purges the Long Parliament of MPs sympathetic to King Charles I of England, in order for the King’s trial to go ahead; came to be known as “Pride’s Purge”.
- 1704Battle of Chamkaur: During the Mughal-Sikh Wars, an outnumbered Sikh Khalsa defeats a Mughal army.
- 1745Charles Edward Stuart’s army begins retreat during the second Jacobite Rising.
- 1768The first edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica is published.
- 1790The U.S. Congress moves from New York City to Philadelphia.
- 1865The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, banning slavery.
- 1877The first edition of The Washington Post is published.
- 1884The Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., is completed.
- 1897London becomes the world’s first city to host licensed taxicabs.
- 1904Theodore Roosevelt articulated his “Corollary” to the Monroe Doctrine, stating that the U.S. would intervene in the Western Hemisphere should Latin American governments prove incapable or unstable.
- 1907A coal mine explosion at Monongah, West Virginia, kills 362 workers.
- 1916World War I: The Central Powers capture Bucharest.
- 1917Finland declares independence from Russia.
- 1917Halifax Explosion: A munitions explosion near Halifax, Nova Scotia kills more than 1,900 people in the largest artificial explosion up to that time.
- 1917World War I: USS Jacob Jones is the first American destroyer to be sunk by enemy action when it is torpedoed by German submarine SM U-53.
- 1921The Anglo-Irish Treaty is signed in London by British and Irish representatives.
- 1922One year to the day after the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the Irish Free State comes into existence.
- 1928The government of Colombia sends military forces to suppress a month-long strike by United Fruit Company workers, resulting in an unknown number of deaths.
- 1933U.S. federal judge John M. Woolsey rules that James Joyce’s novel Ulysses is not obscene.
- 1941World War II: The United Kingdom and Canada declare war on Finland in support of the Soviet Union during the Continuation War.
- 1947The Everglades National Park in Florida is dedicated.
- 1953Vladimir Nabokov completes his controversial novel Lolita.
- 1956A violent water polo match between Hungary and the USSR takes place during the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, against the backdrop of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.
- 1957Project Vanguard: A launchpad explosion of Vanguard TV3 thwarts the first United States attempt to launch a satellite into Earth orbit.
- 1967Adrian Kantrowitz performs the first human heart transplant in the United States.
- 1969Meredith Hunter is killed by Hells Angels during a Rolling Stones concert at the Altamont Speedway in California.
- 1971Pakistan severs diplomatic relations with India following New Delhi’s recognition of Bangladesh.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)