The following events took place on December 6. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1060Béla I is crowned king of Hungary.
- 1240Mongol invasion of Rus': Kiev under Daniel of Galicia and Voivode Dmytro falls to the Mongols under Batu Khan.
- 1534The city of Quito in Ecuador is founded by Spanish settlers led by Sebastián de Belalcázar.
- 1648Colonel Thomas Pride of the New Model Army purges the Long Parliament of MPs sympathetic to King Charles I of England, in order for the King’s trial to go ahead; came to be known as “Pride’s Purge”.
- 1704Battle of Chamkaur: During the Mughal-Sikh Wars, an outnumbered Sikh Khalsa defeats a Mughal army.
- 1745Charles Edward Stuart’s army begins retreat during the second Jacobite Rising.
- 1768The first edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica is published.
- 1790The U.S. Congress moves from New York City to Philadelphia.
- 1865The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, banning slavery.
- 1877The first edition of The Washington Post is published.
- 1884The Washington Monument in Washington, D.C., is completed.
- 1897London becomes the world’s first city to host licensed taxicabs.
- 1904Theodore Roosevelt articulated his “Corollary” to the Monroe Doctrine, stating that the U.S. would intervene in the Western Hemisphere should Latin American governments prove incapable or unstable.
- 1907A coal mine explosion at Monongah, West Virginia, kills 362 workers.
- 1916World War I: The Central Powers capture Bucharest.
- 1917Finland declares independence from Russia.
- 1917Halifax Explosion: A munitions explosion near Halifax, Nova Scotia kills more than 1,900 people in the largest artificial explosion up to that time.
- 1917World War I: USS Jacob Jones is the first American destroyer to be sunk by enemy action when it is torpedoed by German submarine SM U-53.
- 1921The Anglo-Irish Treaty is signed in London by British and Irish representatives.
- 1922One year to the day after the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the Irish Free State comes into existence.
- 1928The government of Colombia sends military forces to suppress a month-long strike by United Fruit Company workers, resulting in an unknown number of deaths.
- 1933U.S. federal judge John M. Woolsey rules that James Joyce’s novel Ulysses is not obscene.
- 1941World War II: The United Kingdom and Canada declare war on Finland in support of the Soviet Union during the Continuation War.
- 1947The Everglades National Park in Florida is dedicated.
- 1953Vladimir Nabokov completes his controversial novel Lolita.
- 1956A violent water polo match between Hungary and the USSR takes place during the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, against the backdrop of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.
- 1957Project Vanguard: A launchpad explosion of Vanguard TV3 thwarts the first United States attempt to launch a satellite into Earth orbit.
- 1967Adrian Kantrowitz performs the first human heart transplant in the United States.
- 1969Meredith Hunter is killed by Hells Angels during a Rolling Stones concert at the Altamont Speedway in California.
- 1971Pakistan severs diplomatic relations with India following New Delhi’s recognition of Bangladesh.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Delores’ personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)