The following events took place on December 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 480Odoacer, first King of Italy, occupies Dalmatia. He later establishes his political power with the co-operation of the Roman Senate.
- 536Gothic War: The Byzantine general Belisarius enters Rome unopposed; the Gothic garrison flee the capital.
- 730Battle of Marj Ardabil: The Khazars annihilate an Umayyad army and kill its commander, Al-Jarrah Ibn Abdallah Al-Hakami.
- 1425The Catholic University of Leuven is founded.
- 1531The Virgin of Guadalupe first appears to Juan Diego at Tepeyac, Mexico City.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: British troops lose the Battle of Great Bridge, and leave Virginia soon afterward.
- 1793New York City’s first daily newspaper, the American Minerva, is established by Noah Webster.
- 1824Patriot forces led by General Antonio José de Sucre defeat a Royalist army in the Battle of Ayacucho, putting an end to the Peruvian War of Independence.
- 1835Texas Revolution: The Texian Army captures San Antonio, Texas.
- 1851The first YMCA in North America is established in Montreal.
- 1856The Iranian city of Bushehr surrenders to occupying British forces.
- 1861American Civil War: The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1872In Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first serving African-American governor of a U.S. state.
- 1875The Massachusetts Rifle Association, “America’s Oldest Active Gun Club”, is founded.
- 1888Statistician Herman Hollerith installs his computing device at the United States War Department.
- 1897Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper La Fronde in Paris.
- 1905In France, the law separating church and state is passed.
- 1911A mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners despite rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 1917World War I: Field Marshal Allenby captures Jerusalem, Palestine.
- 1922Gabriel Narutowicz is elected the first president of Poland.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)