The following events took place on December 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 480Odoacer, first King of Italy, occupies Dalmatia. He later establishes his political power with the co-operation of the Roman Senate.
- 536Gothic War: The Byzantine general Belisarius enters Rome unopposed; the Gothic garrison flee the capital.
- 730Battle of Marj Ardabil: The Khazars annihilate an Umayyad army and kill its commander, Al-Jarrah Ibn Abdallah Al-Hakami.
- 1425The Catholic University of Leuven is founded.
- 1531The Virgin of Guadalupe first appears to Juan Diego at Tepeyac, Mexico City.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: British troops lose the Battle of Great Bridge, and leave Virginia soon afterward.
- 1793New York City’s first daily newspaper, the American Minerva, is established by Noah Webster.
- 1824Patriot forces led by General Antonio José de Sucre defeat a Royalist army in the Battle of Ayacucho, putting an end to the Peruvian War of Independence.
- 1835Texas Revolution: The Texian Army captures San Antonio, Texas.
- 1851The first YMCA in North America is established in Montreal.
- 1856The Iranian city of Bushehr surrenders to occupying British forces.
- 1861American Civil War: The Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1872In Louisiana, P. B. S. Pinchback becomes the first serving African-American governor of a U.S. state.
- 1875The Massachusetts Rifle Association, “America’s Oldest Active Gun Club”, is founded.
- 1888Statistician Herman Hollerith installs his computing device at the United States War Department.
- 1897Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper La Fronde in Paris.
- 1905In France, the law separating church and state is passed.
- 1911A mine explosion near Briceville, Tennessee, kills 84 miners despite rescue efforts led by the United States Bureau of Mines.
- 1917World War I: Field Marshal Allenby captures Jerusalem, Palestine.
- 1922Gabriel Narutowicz is elected the first president of Poland.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)