The following events took place on February 15. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 590Khosrau II is crowned king of Persia.
- 706Byzantine emperor Justinian II has his predecessors Leontios and Tiberios III publicly executed in the Hippodrome of Constantinople.
- 1113Pope Paschal II issues a bill sanctioning the establishment of the Order of Hospitallers.
- 1214John, King of England, lands an invasion force at La Rochelle in France.
- 1493While on board the Niña, Christopher Columbus writes an open letter (widely distributed upon his return to Portugal) describing his discoveries and the unexpected items he came across in the New World.
- 1637Ferdinand III becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1690Constantin Cantemir, Prince of Moldavia, and the Holy Roman Empire sign a secret treaty in Sibiu, stipulating that Moldavia would support the actions led by the House of Habsburg against the Ottoman Empire.
- 1764The city of St. Louis is established in Spanish Louisiana (now in Missouri, USA).
- 1798The Roman Republic is proclaimed after Louis-Alexandre Berthier, a general of Napoleon, had invaded the city of Rome five days earlier.
- 1804The Serbian Revolution begins.
- 1835The first constitutional law in modern Serbia is adopted.
- 1862American Civil War: General Ulysses S. Grant attacks Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- 1870Stevens Institute of Technology is founded in New Jersey, USA and offers the first Bachelors of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering.
- 1879Women’s rights: US President Rutherford B. Hayes signs a bill allowing female attorneys to argue cases before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1891Allmänna Idrottsklubben (AIK) (Swedish Sports Club) is founded.
- 1898The battleship USS Maine explodes and sinks in Havana harbor in Cuba, killing 274. This event leads the United States to declare war on Spain.
- 1901The association football club Alianza Lima is founded in Lima, Peru, under the name Sport Alianza.
- 1909The Flores Theater fire in Acapulco, Mexico kills 250.
- 1921Kingdom of Romania establishes its legation in Helsinki.
- 1923Greece becomes the last European country to adopt the Gregorian calendar.
- 1925The 1925 serum run to Nome: The serum arrives in Nome, Alaska, with Balto being the lead dog of the last team.
- 1933In Miami, Giuseppe Zangara attempts to assassinate US President-elect Franklin D. Roosevelt, but instead shoots Chicago mayor Anton J. Cermak, who dies of his wounds on March 6, 1933.
- 1942World War II: Fall of Singapore. Following an assault by Japanese forces, the British General Arthur Percival surrenders. About 80,000 Indian, United Kingdom and Australian soldiers become prisoners of war, the largest surrender of British-led military personnel in history.
- 1944World War II: The assault on Monte Cassino, Italy begins.
- 1944World War II: The Narva Offensive begins.
- 1945World War II: Third day of bombing in Dresden.
- 1946ENIAC, the first electronic general-purpose computer, is formally dedicated at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.
- 1949Gerald Lankester Harding and Roland de Vaux begin excavations at Cave 1 of the Qumran Caves, where they will eventually discover the first seven Dead Sea Scrolls.
- 1952King George VI of the United Kingdom is buried in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle.
- 1953Parliamentary elections held in Liechtenstein.
Curious about this Brown Bubble Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!