The following events took place on February 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 303Roman emperor Diocletian orders the destruction of the Christian church in Nicomedia, beginning eight years of Diocletianic Persecution.
- 532Byzantine emperor Justinian I orders the building of a new Orthodox Christian basilica in Constantinople – the Hagia Sophia.
- 1455Traditional date for the publication of the Gutenberg Bible, the first Western book printed with movable type.
- 1554Mapuche forces, under the leadership of Lautaro, score a victory over the Spanish at the Battle of Marihueñu in Chile.
- 1739Richard Palmer is identified at York Castle, by his former schoolteacher, as the outlaw Dick Turpin.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: Baron von Steuben arrives at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania to help to train the Continental Army.
- 1820Cato Street Conspiracy: A plot to murder all the British cabinet ministers is exposed.
- 1821Alexander Ypsilantis starts the Greek War of Independence in Iași, Wallachia (now part of Romania).
- 1836Texas Revolution: The Battle of the Alamo begins in San Antonio, Texas.
- 1847Mexican–American War: Battle of Buena Vista – In Mexico, American troops under future president General Zachary Taylor defeat Mexican General Antonio López de Santa Anna.
- 1854The official independence of the Orange Free State is declared.
- 1861President-elect Abraham Lincoln arrives secretly in Washington, D.C., after the thwarting of an alleged assassination plot in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1870Reconstruction Era: Post-U.S. Civil War military control of Mississippi ends and it is readmitted to the Union.
- 1883Alabama becomes the first U.S. state to enact an anti-trust law.
- 1885Sino-French War: French Army gains an important victory in the Battle of Đồng Đăng in the Tonkin region of Vietnam.
- 1886Charles Martin Hall produced the first samples of man-made aluminum, after several years of intensive work. He was assisted in this project by his older sister Julia Brainerd Hall.
- 1887The French Riviera is hit by a large earthquake, killing around 2,000.
- 1896The Tootsie Roll is invented.
- 1898Émile Zola is imprisoned in France after writing “J'accuse”, a letter accusing the French government of antisemitism and wrongfully imprisoning Captain Alfred Dreyfus.
- 1900Second Boer War: Boers and British troops fight in the Battle of Hart’s Hill.
- 1903Cuba leases Guantánamo Bay to the United States “in perpetuity”.
- 1905Chicago attorney Paul Harris and three other businessmen meet for lunch to form the Rotary Club, the world’s first service club.
- 1909The AEA Silver Dart makes the first powered flight in Canada and the British Empire.
- 1917First demonstrations in Saint Petersburg, Russia. The beginning of the February Revolution.
- 1918Last monarch of Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz commits suicide.
- 1927U.S. President Calvin Coolidge signs a bill by Congress establishing the Federal Radio Commission (later replaced by the Federal Communications Commission) which was to regulate the use of radio frequencies in the United States.
- 1927German theoretical physicist Werner Heisenberg writes a letter to fellow physicist Wolfgang Pauli, in which he describes his uncertainty principle for the first time.
- 1934Leopold III becomes King of Belgium.
- 1941Plutonium is first produced and isolated by Dr. Glenn T. Seaborg.
- 1942World War II: Japanese submarines fire artillery shells at the California coastline near Santa Barbara.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)