The following events took place on February 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 32 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 747 BCEpoch (origin) of Ptolemy’s Nabonassar Era.
- 364Valentinian I is proclaimed Roman Emperor.
- 1233Mongol–Jin War: The Mongols capture Kaifeng, the capital of the Jin dynasty, after besieging it for months.
- 1266Battle of Benevento: An army led by Charles, Count of Anjou, defeats a combined German and Sicilian force led by Manfred, King of Sicily. Manfred is killed in the battle and Pope Clement IV invests Charles as king of Sicily and Naples.
- 1616Galileo Galilei is formally banned by the Roman Catholic Church from teaching or defending the view that the earth orbits the sun.
- 1794The first Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen burns down.
- 1815Napoleon Bonaparte escapes from Elba.
- 1876Japan and Korea sign a treaty granting Japanese citizens extraterritoriality rights, opening three ports to Japanese trade, and ending Korea’s status as a tributary state of Qing dynasty China.
- 1909Kinemacolor, the first successful color motion picture process, is first shown to the general public at the Palace Theatre in London.
- 1914HMHS Britannic, sister to the RMS Titanic, is launched at Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast.
- 1916Tokelau annexed by the United Kingdom.
- 1917The Original Dixieland Jass Band records the first jazz record, for the Victor Talking Machine Company in New York.
- 1919President Woodrow Wilson signs an act of the U.S. Congress establishing most of the Grand Canyon as a United States National Park - the Grand Canyon National Park.
- 1929President Calvin Coolidge signs an Executive Order establishing the 96,000 acre Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming.
- 1935Adolf Hitler orders the Luftwaffe to be re-formed, violating the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles.
- 1935Robert Watson-Watt carries out a demonstration near Daventry which leads directly to the development of radar in the United Kingdom.
- 1936In the February 26 Incident, young Japanese military officers attempt to stage a coup against the government.
- 1946Finnish observers report the first of many thousands of sightings of ghost rockets.
- 1952Vincent Massey is sworn in as the first Canadian-born Governor General of Canada.
- 1960A New York-bound Alitalia airliner crashes into a cemetery in Shannon, Ireland, shortly after takeoff, killing 34 of the 52 persons on board.
- 1966Apollo program: Launch of AS-201, the first flight of the Saturn IB rocket
- 1966Vietnam War: The ROK Capital Division of the South Korean Army massacres 380 unarmed civilians in South Vietnam.
- 1971U.N. Secretary General U Thant signs United Nations proclamation of the vernal equinox as Earth Day.
- 1972The Buffalo Creek Flood caused by a burst dam kills 125 in West Virginia.
- 1980Egypt and Israel establish full diplomatic relations.
- 1987Iran–Contra affair: The Tower Commission rebukes President Ronald Reagan for not controlling his national security staff.
- 1991Gulf War: United States Army forces capture the town of Al Busayyah.
- 1992Nagorno-Karabakh War: Khojaly Massacre: Armenian armed forces open fire on Azeri civilians at a military post outside the town of Khojaly leaving hundreds dead.
- 1993World Trade Center bombing: In New York City, a truck bomb parked below the North Tower of the World Trade Center explodes, killing six and injuring over a thousand.
- 1995The United Kingdom’s oldest investment banking institute, Barings Bank, collapses after securities broker Nick Leeson loses $1.4 billion by speculating on the Singapore International Monetary Exchange using futures contracts.
Curious about this Yellow Bubble Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!