The following events took place on February 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 211Roman Emperor Septimius Severus dies at Eboracum (modern York, England) while preparing to lead a campaign against the Caledonians. He leaves the empire in the control of his two quarrelling sons.
- 634Battle of Dathin: Rashidun forces under Yazid ibn Abi Sufyan defeat the Christian Arabs around Gaza (Palestine).
- 960The coronation of Zhao Kuangyin as Emperor Taizu of Song, initiating the Song dynasty period of China that would last more than three centuries.
- 1169A strong earthquake struck the Ionian coast of Sicily, causing tens of thousands of injuries and deaths, especially in Catania.
- 1454In the Thirteen Years’ War, the Secret Council of the Prussian Confederation sends a formal act of disobedience to the Grand Master.
- 1555John Rogers was a clergyman, Bible translator and commentator, and the first English Protestant martyr under Mary I of England.
- 1703In Edo (now Tokyo), 46 of the Forty-seven Ronin commit seppuku (ritual suicide) as recompense for avenging their master’s death.
- 1758Macapá, Brazil is founded.
- 1789George Washington is unanimously elected as the first President of the United States by the U.S. Electoral College.
- 1794The French legislature abolishes slavery throughout all territories of the French First Republic. It will be reestablished in the French West Indies in 1802.
- 1797The Riobamba earthquake strikes Ecuador, causing up to 40,000 casualties.
- 1801John Marshall is sworn in as Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1810The Royal Navy seizes Guadeloupe.
- 1820The Chilean Navy under the command of Lord Cochrane completes the 2-day long Capture of Valdivia with just 300 men and 2 ships.
- 1825The Ohio Legislature authorizes the construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal and the Miami and Erie Canal.
- 1846The first Mormon pioneers make their exodus from Nauvoo, Illinois, westward towards Salt Lake Valley.
- 1859The Codex Sinaiticus is discovered in Egypt.
- 1861American Civil War: In Montgomery, Alabama, delegates from six break-away U.S. states meet and form the Confederate States of America.
- 1899The Philippine–American War begins with the Battle of Manila.
- 1932Second Sino-Japanese War: Harbin, Manchuria, falls to Japan.
- 1936Radium becomes the first radioactive element to be made synthetically.
- 1941The United Service Organization (USO) is created to entertain American troops.
- 1945World War II: Santo Tomas Internment Camp is liberated from Japanese authority.
- 1945World War II: The Yalta Conference between the “Big Three” (Churchill, Roosevelt, and Stalin) opens at the Livadia Palace in the Crimea.
- 1945World War II: The British Indian Army and Imperial Japanese Army begin a series of battles known as the Battle of Pokoku and Irrawaddy River operations.
- 1948Ceylon (later renamed Sri Lanka) becomes independent within the British Commonwealth.
- 1961Angolan War of Independence begins.
- 1966All Nippon Airways Flight 60 plunges into Tokyo Bay, killing 133.
- 1967Lunar Orbiter program: Lunar Orbiter 3 lifts off from Cape Canaveral’s Launch Complex 13 on its mission to identify possible landing sites for the Surveyor and Apollo spacecraft.
- 1969Yasser Arafat takes over as chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization.
Curious about this Black Cookie Sandwich? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!