The following events took place on January 21. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 763The Battle of Bakhamra between Alids and Abbasids near Kufa ends in a decisive Abbasid victory.
- 1525The Swiss Anabaptist Movement is founded when Conrad Grebel, Felix Manz, George Blaurock, and about a dozen others baptize each other in the home of Manz’s mother in Zürich, breaking a thousand-year tradition of church-state union.
- 1535Following the Affair of the Placards, French Protestants are burned at the stake in front of the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris
- 1720Sweden and Prussia sign the Treaty of Stockholm.
- 1749The Teatro Filarmonico in Verona is destroyed by fire. It is rebuilt in 1754.
- 1774Abdul Hamid I became Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and Caliph of Islam.
- 1789The first American novel, The Power of Sympathy or the Triumph of Nature Founded in Truth, is printed in Boston.
- 1793After being found guilty of treason by the French National Convention, Louis XVI of France is executed by guillotine.
- 1840Jules Dumont d'Urville discovers Adélie Land, Antarctica.
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis resigns from the United States Senate.
- 1864The Tauranga Campaign begins during the New Zealand Wars.
- 1887A total of 465 mm rain falls in Brisbane, a record for any Australian capital city.
- 1893The Tati Concessions Land, formerly part of Matabeleland, is formally annexed to the Bechuanaland Protectorate, now Botswana.
- 1899Opel manufactures its first automobile.
- 1908New York City passes the Sullivan Ordinance, making it illegal for women to smoke in public, only to have the measure vetoed by the mayor.
- 1911The first Monte Carlo Rally takes place.
- 1915Kiwanis International is founded in Detroit.
- 1919Meeting of the First Dáil Éireann in the Mansion House Dublin. Sinn Féin adopts Ireland’s first constitution. The first engagement of Irish War of Independence, Sologhead Beg, County Tipperary.
- 1925Albania declares itself a republic.
- 1931Sir Isaac Isaacs is sworn in as the first Australian-born Governor-General of Australia.
- 1941Sparked by the murder of a German officer in Bucharest, Romania, the day before, members of the Iron Guard engaged in a rebellion and pogrom killing 125 Jews.
- 1948The Flag of Quebec is adopted and flown for the first time over the National Assembly of Quebec. The day is marked annually as Québec Flag Day.
- 1950American lawyer and government official Alger Hiss is convicted of perjury.
- 1954The first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, is launched in Groton, Connecticut by Mamie Eisenhower, the First Lady of the United States.
- 1958The last Fokker C.X in military service, the Finnish Air Force FK-111 target tower, crashes, killing the pilot and winch-operator.
- 1960Little Joe 1B, a Mercury spacecraft, lifts off from Wallops Island, Virginia with Miss Sam, a female rhesus monkey on board.
- 1960Avianca Flight 671 crashes and burns upon landing at Montego Bay, Jamaica, killing 37. It is the worst air disaster in Jamaica’s history and the first for Avianca.
- 1961Four hundred thirty-five workers are buried alive when a mine in Coalbrook, Free State collapses.
- 1968Vietnam War: Battle of Khe Sanh – One of the most publicized and controversial battles of the war begins.
- 1968A B-52 bomber crashes near Thule Air Base, contaminating the area after its nuclear payload ruptures. One of the four bombs remains unaccounted for after the cleanup operation is complete.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)