The following events took place on January 31. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 314Pope Sylvester I succeeds Pope Miltiades.
- 1504France cedes Naples to Aragon.
- 1578The Battle of Gembloux takes place.
- 1606Gunpowder Plot: Guy Fawkes is executed for plotting against Parliament and King James.
- 1747The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1814Gervasio Antonio de Posadas becomes Supreme Director of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata (present-day Argentina).
- 1846After the Milwaukee Bridge War, Juneautown and Kilbourntown unify as the City of Milwaukee.
- 1848John C. Frémont is court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders.
- 1849Corn Laws are abolished in the United Kingdom pursuant to legislation in 1846.
- 1862Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5 in telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- 1865American Civil War: The United States Congress passes the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, abolishing slavery and submits it to the states for ratification.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate General Robert E. Lee becomes general-in-chief.
- 1867Maronite nationalist leader Youssef Bey Karam leaves Lebanon on board a French ship bound for Algeria.
- 1891History of Portugal: The first attempt at a Portuguese republican revolution breaks out in the northern city of Porto.
- 1897Czechoslav Trade Union Association is founded in Prague.
- 1900Datu Muhammad Salleh is assassinated in Kampung Teboh, Tambunan, ending the Mat Salleh Rebellion.
- 1915World War I: Germany is the first to make large-scale use of poison gas in warfare in the Battle of Bolimów against Russia.
- 1917World War I: Germany announces that its U-boats will resume unrestricted submarine warfare after a two-year hiatus.
- 1918A series of accidental collisions on a misty Scottish night leads to the loss of two Royal Navy submarines with over a hundred lives, and damage to another five British warships.
- 1919The Battle of George Square takes place in Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1929The Soviet Union exiles Leon Trotsky.
- 19303M begins marketing Scotch Tape.
- 1942World War II: Allied forces are defeated by the Japanese at the Battle of Malaya and retreat to the island of Singapore.
- 1943World War II: German Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to the Soviets at Stalingrad, followed 2 days later by the remainder of his Sixth Army, ending one of the war’s fiercest battles.
- 1944World War II: American forces land on Kwajalein Atoll and other islands in the Japanese-held Marshall Islands.
- 1944World War II: During the Anzio campaign the 1st Ranger Battalion (Darby’s Rangers) is destroyed behind enemy lines in a heavily outnumbered encounter at Battle of Cisterna, Italy.
- 1945US Army private Eddie Slovik is executed for desertion, the first such execution of an American soldier since the Civil War.
- 1945World War II: About 3,000 inmates from the Stutthof concentration camp are forcibly marched into the Baltic Sea at Palmnicken (now Yantarny, Russia) and executed.
- 1945World War II: The end of fighting in the Battle of Hill 170 during the Burma Campaign, in which the British 3 Commando Brigade repulsed a Japanese counterattack on their positions and precipitated a general retirement from the Arakan Peninsula.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!