The following events took place on January 31. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 314Pope Sylvester I succeeds Pope Miltiades.
- 1504France cedes Naples to Aragon.
- 1578The Battle of Gembloux takes place.
- 1606Gunpowder Plot: Guy Fawkes is executed for plotting against Parliament and King James.
- 1747The first venereal diseases clinic opens at London Lock Hospital.
- 1801John Marshall is appointed the Chief Justice of the United States.
- 1814Gervasio Antonio de Posadas becomes Supreme Director of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata (present-day Argentina).
- 1846After the Milwaukee Bridge War, Juneautown and Kilbourntown unify as the City of Milwaukee.
- 1848John C. Frémont is court-martialed for mutiny and disobeying orders.
- 1849Corn Laws are abolished in the United Kingdom pursuant to legislation in 1846.
- 1862Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5 in telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- 1865American Civil War: The United States Congress passes the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, abolishing slavery and submits it to the states for ratification.
- 1865American Civil War: Confederate General Robert E. Lee becomes general-in-chief.
- 1867Maronite nationalist leader Youssef Bey Karam leaves Lebanon on board a French ship bound for Algeria.
- 1891History of Portugal: The first attempt at a Portuguese republican revolution breaks out in the northern city of Porto.
- 1897Czechoslav Trade Union Association is founded in Prague.
- 1900Datu Muhammad Salleh is assassinated in Kampung Teboh, Tambunan, ending the Mat Salleh Rebellion.
- 1915World War I: Germany is the first to make large-scale use of poison gas in warfare in the Battle of Bolimów against Russia.
- 1917World War I: Germany announces that its U-boats will resume unrestricted submarine warfare after a two-year hiatus.
- 1918A series of accidental collisions on a misty Scottish night leads to the loss of two Royal Navy submarines with over a hundred lives, and damage to another five British warships.
- 1919The Battle of George Square takes place in Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1929The Soviet Union exiles Leon Trotsky.
- 19303M begins marketing Scotch Tape.
- 1942World War II: Allied forces are defeated by the Japanese at the Battle of Malaya and retreat to the island of Singapore.
- 1943World War II: German Field Marshal Friedrich Paulus surrenders to the Soviets at Stalingrad, followed 2 days later by the remainder of his Sixth Army, ending one of the war’s fiercest battles.
- 1944World War II: American forces land on Kwajalein Atoll and other islands in the Japanese-held Marshall Islands.
- 1944World War II: During the Anzio campaign the 1st Ranger Battalion (Darby’s Rangers) is destroyed behind enemy lines in a heavily outnumbered encounter at Battle of Cisterna, Italy.
- 1945US Army private Eddie Slovik is executed for desertion, the first such execution of an American soldier since the Civil War.
- 1945World War II: About 3,000 inmates from the Stutthof concentration camp are forcibly marched into the Baltic Sea at Palmnicken (now Yantarny, Russia) and executed.
- 1945World War II: The end of fighting in the Battle of Hill 170 during the Burma Campaign, in which the British 3 Commando Brigade repulsed a Japanese counterattack on their positions and precipitated a general retirement from the Arakan Peninsula.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)