The following events took place on July 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 328The official opening of Constantine’s Bridge built over the Danube between Sucidava (Corabia, Romania) and Oescus (Gigen, Bulgaria) by the Roman architect Theophilus Patricius
- 1295Scotland and France form an alliance, the so-called “Auld Alliance”, against England.
- 1316The Burgundian and Majorcan claimants of the Principality of Achaea meet in the Battle of Manolada
- 1594Portuguese forces under the command of Pedro Lopes de Sousa begin an unsuccessful invasion of the Kingdom of Kandy during the Campaign of Danture in Sri Lanka.
- 1610John Guy sets sail from Bristol with 39 other colonists for Newfoundland.
- 1687Isaac Newton publishes Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica.
- 1770The Battle of Chesma between the Russian Empire and the Ottoman Empire begins.
- 1775The Second Continental Congress adopts the Olive Branch Petition.
- 1803The Convention of Artlenburg is signed, leading to the French occupation of Hanover (which had been ruled by the British king).
- 1807In Buenos Aires the local militias repel the British soldiers within the Second English Invasion.
- 1809The largest battle of the Napoleonic Wars, the Battle of Wagram is fought between the French and Austrian Empires.
- 1811Venezuela declares independence from Spain.
- 1813War of 1812: Three weeks of British raids on Fort Schlosser, Black Rock and Plattsburgh, New York commence.
- 1814War of 1812: Battle of Chippawa: American Major General Jacob Brown defeats British General Phineas Riall at Chippawa, Ontario.
- 1833Lê Văn Khôi along with 27 soldiers stage a mutiny taking over the Phiên An citadel, developing into the Lê Văn Khôi revolt against Emperor Minh Mạng.
- 1833Admiral Charles Napier vanquishes the navy of the Portuguese usurper Dom Miguel at the third Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 1841Thomas Cook organises the first package excursion, from Leicester to Loughborough
- 1878The coat of arms of the Baku Governorate is established.
- 1884Germany takes possession of Cameroon.
- 1915The Liberty Bell leaves Philadelphia by special train on its way to the Panama–Pacific International Exposition. This is the last trip outside Philadelphia that the custodians of the bell intend to permit.
- 1934“Bloody Thursday”: Police open fire on striking longshoremen in San Francisco.
- 1935The National Labor Relations Act, which governs labor relations in the United States, is signed into law by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1937Spam, the luncheon meat, is introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation.
- 1940World War II: The United Kingdom and the Vichy France government break off diplomatic relations.
- 1941World War II: Operation Barbarossa: German troops reach the Dnieper river.
- 1943World War II: An Allied invasion fleet sails for Sicily (Operation Husky, July 10, 1943).
- 1943World War II: German forces begin a massive offensive against the Soviet Union at the Battle of Kursk, also known as Operation Citadel.
- 1945World War II: The liberation of the Philippines is declared.
- 1946The bikini goes on sale after debuting during an outdoor fashion show at the Molitor Pool in Paris, France.
- 1948National Health Service Acts create the national public health system in the United Kingdom.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!