The following events took place on June 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 313The Edict of Milan, signed by Constantine the Great and co-emperor Valerius Licinius granting religious freedom throughout the Roman Empire, is posted in Nicomedia.
- 1373Anglo-Portuguese Alliance between England (succeeded by the United Kingdom) and Portugal is the oldest alliance in the world which is still in force.
- 1381The Peasants’ Revolt led by Wat Tyler culminated in the burning of the Savoy Palace.
- 1514Henry Grace à Dieu, at over 1,000 tons the largest warship in the world at this time, built at the new Woolwich Dockyard in England, is dedicated.
- 1525Martin Luther marries Katharina von Bora, against the celibacy rule decreed by the Roman Catholic Church for priests and nuns.
- 1625King Charles I of England marries Henrietta Maria of France, Princess of France
- 1740Georgia provincial governor James Oglethorpe begins an unsuccessful attempt to take Spanish Florida during the Siege of St. Augustine.
- 1774Rhode Island becomes the first of Britain’s North American colonies to ban the importation of slaves.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette lands near Charleston, South Carolina, in order to help the Continental Congress to train its army.
- 1805Lewis and Clark Expedition: scouting ahead of the expedition, Meriwether Lewis and four companions sight the Great Falls of the Missouri River.
- 1881The USS Jeannette is crushed in an Arctic Ocean ice pack.
- 1886A fire devastates much of Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 1886King Ludwig II of Bavaria is found dead in Lake Starnberg south of Munich at 11:30 PM.
- 1893Grover Cleveland notices a rough spot in his mouth and on July 1 undergoes secret, successful surgery to remove a large, cancerous portion of his jaw; the operation was not revealed to the public until 1917, nine years after the president’s death.
- 1898Yukon Territory is formed, with Dawson chosen as its capital.
- 1910The University of the Philippines College of Engineering is established. This unit of the university is said to be the largest degree granting unit in the Philippines.
- 1917World War I: The deadliest German air raid on London during World War I is carried out by Gotha G bombers and results in 162 deaths, including 46 children, and 432 injuries.
- 1927Aviator Charles Lindbergh receives a ticker tape parade down 5th Avenue in New York City.
- 1944World War II: German combat elements - reinforced by the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division - launch a counterattack on American forces near Carentan.
- 1944World War II: Germany launches a V1 Flying Bomb attack on England. Only four of the eleven bombs actually hit their targets.
- 1952Catalina affair: A Swedish Douglas DC-3 is shot down by a Soviet MiG-15 fighter.
- 1955Mir mine, the first diamond mine in the USSR, is discovered.
- 1966The United States Supreme Court rules in Miranda v. Arizona that the police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.
- 1967U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson nominates Solicitor-General Thurgood Marshall to become the first black justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1969Governor of Texas Preston Smith signs a bill into law converting the former Southwest Center for Advanced Studies, originally founded as a research arm of Texas Instruments, into the University of Texas at Dallas.
- 1970“The Long and Winding Road” becomes The Beatles’ last U.S. number one song.
- 1971Vietnam War: The New York Times begins publication of the Pentagon Papers.
- 1977Convicted Martin Luther King Jr. assassin James Earl Ray is recaptured after escaping from prison three days before.
- 1978Israel Defense Forces withdraw from Lebanon.
- 1981At the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London, a teenager, Marcus Sarjeant, fires six blank shots at Queen Elizabeth II.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)