The following events took place on June 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 313The Edict of Milan, signed by Constantine the Great and co-emperor Valerius Licinius granting religious freedom throughout the Roman Empire, is posted in Nicomedia.
- 1373Anglo-Portuguese Alliance between England (succeeded by the United Kingdom) and Portugal is the oldest alliance in the world which is still in force.
- 1381The Peasants’ Revolt led by Wat Tyler culminated in the burning of the Savoy Palace.
- 1514Henry Grace à Dieu, at over 1,000 tons the largest warship in the world at this time, built at the new Woolwich Dockyard in England, is dedicated.
- 1525Martin Luther marries Katharina von Bora, against the celibacy rule decreed by the Roman Catholic Church for priests and nuns.
- 1625King Charles I of England marries Henrietta Maria of France, Princess of France
- 1740Georgia provincial governor James Oglethorpe begins an unsuccessful attempt to take Spanish Florida during the Siege of St. Augustine.
- 1774Rhode Island becomes the first of Britain’s North American colonies to ban the importation of slaves.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette lands near Charleston, South Carolina, in order to help the Continental Congress to train its army.
- 1805Lewis and Clark Expedition: scouting ahead of the expedition, Meriwether Lewis and four companions sight the Great Falls of the Missouri River.
- 1881The USS Jeannette is crushed in an Arctic Ocean ice pack.
- 1886A fire devastates much of Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 1886King Ludwig II of Bavaria is found dead in Lake Starnberg south of Munich at 11:30 PM.
- 1893Grover Cleveland notices a rough spot in his mouth and on July 1 undergoes secret, successful surgery to remove a large, cancerous portion of his jaw; the operation was not revealed to the public until 1917, nine years after the president’s death.
- 1898Yukon Territory is formed, with Dawson chosen as its capital.
- 1910The University of the Philippines College of Engineering is established. This unit of the university is said to be the largest degree granting unit in the Philippines.
- 1917World War I: The deadliest German air raid on London during World War I is carried out by Gotha G bombers and results in 162 deaths, including 46 children, and 432 injuries.
- 1927Aviator Charles Lindbergh receives a ticker tape parade down 5th Avenue in New York City.
- 1944World War II: German combat elements - reinforced by the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division - launch a counterattack on American forces near Carentan.
- 1944World War II: Germany launches a V1 Flying Bomb attack on England. Only four of the eleven bombs actually hit their targets.
- 1952Catalina affair: A Swedish Douglas DC-3 is shot down by a Soviet MiG-15 fighter.
- 1955Mir mine, the first diamond mine in the USSR, is discovered.
- 1966The United States Supreme Court rules in Miranda v. Arizona that the police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.
- 1967U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson nominates Solicitor-General Thurgood Marshall to become the first black justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 1969Governor of Texas Preston Smith signs a bill into law converting the former Southwest Center for Advanced Studies, originally founded as a research arm of Texas Instruments, into the University of Texas at Dallas.
- 1970“The Long and Winding Road” becomes The Beatles’ last U.S. number one song.
- 1971Vietnam War: The New York Times begins publication of the Pentagon Papers.
- 1977Convicted Martin Luther King Jr. assassin James Earl Ray is recaptured after escaping from prison three days before.
- 1978Israel Defense Forces withdraw from Lebanon.
- 1981At the Trooping the Colour ceremony in London, a teenager, Marcus Sarjeant, fires six blank shots at Queen Elizabeth II.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!