The following events took place on June 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 217 BCBattle of Raphia: Ptolemy IV Philopator of Egypt defeats Antiochus III the Great of the Seleucid kingdom.
- 168 BCBattle of Pydna: Romans under Lucius Aemilius Paullus defeat Macedonian King Perseus who surrenders after the battle, ending the Third Macedonian War.
- 813Battle of Versinikia: The Bulgars led by Krum defeat the Byzantine army near Edirne. Emperor Michael I is forced to abdicate in favor of Leo V the Armenian.
- 1527Fatahillah chased away Portuguese forces from Sunda Kelapa harbour, and peoples celebrated it as birthday of Jakarta, Indonesia.
- 1593Battle of Sisak: Allied Christian troops defeat the Ottomans.
- 1622Portuguese forces repel a Dutch invasion at the Battle of Macau during the Dutch–Portuguese War.
- 1633The Holy Office in Rome forces Galileo Galilei to recant his view that the Sun, not the Earth, is the center of the Universe in the form he presented it in, after heated controversy.
- 1774The British pass the Quebec Act, setting out rules of governance for the colony of Quebec in British North America.
- 1783A poisonous cloud caused by the eruption of the Laki volcano in Iceland reaches Le Havre in France.
- 1807In the Chesapeake–Leopard Affair, the British warship HMS Leopard attacks and boards the American frigate USS Chesapeake.
- 1813War of 1812: After learning of American plans for a surprise attack on Beaver Dams in Ontario, Laura Secord sets out on a 30 kilometer journey on foot to warn Lieutenant James FitzGibbon.
- 1825The British Parliament abolishes feudalism and the seigneurial system in British North America.
- 1839Cherokee leaders Major Ridge, John Ridge, and Elias Boudinot are assassinated for signing the Treaty of New Echota, which had resulted in the Trail of Tears.
- 1870US Congress created the United States Department of Justice
- 1893The Royal Navy battleship HMS Camperdown accidentally rams the British Mediterranean Fleet flagship HMS Victoria which sinks taking 358 crew with her, including the fleet’s commander, Vice-Admiral Sir George Tryon.
- 1897British colonial officers Charles Walter Rand and Lt. Charles Egerton Ayerst are assassinated in Pune, Maharashtra, India by the Chapekar brothers and Mahadeo Vinayak Ranade, who are later caught and hanged.
- 1898Spanish–American War: United States Marines land in Cuba.
- 1906The flag of Sweden is adopted.
- 1907The London Underground’s Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway opens.
- 1911George V and Mary of Teck are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)