The following events took place on June 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 524The Franks are defeated by the Burgundians in the Battle of Vézeronce.
- 841In the Battle of Fontenay-en-Puisaye, forces led by Charles the Bald and Louis the German defeat the armies of Lothair I of Italy and Pepin II of Aquitaine.
- 1530At the Diet of Augsburg the Augsburg Confession is presented to the Holy Roman Emperor by the Lutheran princes and Electors of Germany.
- 1658Spanish forces fail to retake Jamaica at the Battle of Rio Nuevo during the Anglo-Spanish War.
- 1678Venetian Elena Cornaro Piscopia is the first woman awarded a doctorate of philosophy when she graduates from the University of Padua.
- 1741Maria Theresa of Austria is crowned Queen of Hungary.
- 1786Gavriil Pribylov discovers St. George Island of the Pribilof Islands in the Bering Sea.
- 1788Virginia becomes the tenth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- 1876Battle of the Little Bighorn and the death of Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer.
- 1900The Taoist monk Wang Yuanlu discovers the Dunhuang manuscripts, a cache of ancient texts that are of great historical and religious significance, in the Mogao Caves of Dunhuang, China.
- 1906Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania millionaire Harry Thaw shoots and kills prominent architect Stanford White.
- 1910The United States Congress passes the Mann Act, which prohibits interstate transport of females for “immoral purposes”; the ambiguous language would be used to selectively prosecute people for years to come.
- 1910Igor Stravinsky’s ballet The Firebird is premiered in Paris, bringing him to prominence as a composer.
- 1913American Civil War veterans begin arriving at the Great Reunion of 1913.
- 1923Capt. Lowell H. Smith and Lt. John P. Richter perform the first ever aerial refueling in a DH.4B biplane
- 1935Diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and Colombia are established.
- 1938Dr. Douglas Hyde is inaugurated as the first President of Ireland.
- 1940World War II: France officially surrenders to Germany at 01:35.
- 1943The Holocaust: Jews in the Częstochowa Ghetto in Poland stage an uprising against the Nazis.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle ever fought in the Nordic countries, begins.
- 1944World War II: United States Navy and British Royal Navy ships bombard Cherbourg to support United States Army units engaged in the Battle of Cherbourg.
- 1944The final page of the comic Krazy Kat is published, exactly two months after its author George Herriman died.
- 1947The Diary of a Young Girl (better known as The Diary of Anne Frank) is published.
- 1948The Berlin airlift begins.
- 1949Long-Haired Hare, starring Bugs Bunny, is released in theaters.
- 1950The Korean War begins with the invasion of South Korea by North Korea.
- 1960Two cryptographers working for the United States National Security Agency left for vacation to Mexico, and from there defected to the Soviet Union.
- 1967Broadcasting of the first live global satellite television program: Our World
- 1975Mozambique achieves independence.
- 1975Prime Minister Indira Gandhi has a state of internal Emergency declared in India.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!