March 18 Historical Events
The following events took place on March 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 37The Roman Senate annuls Tiberius’s will and proclaims Caligula emperor.
- 633Ridda wars: The Arabian Peninsula is united under the central authority of Caliph Abu Bakr.
- 1229Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, declares himself King of Jerusalem in the Sixth Crusade.
- 1241First Mongol invasion of Poland: Mongols overwhelm Polish armies in Kraków in the Battle of Chmielnik and plunder the city.
- 1314Jacques de Molay, the 23rd and the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, is burned at the stake.
- 1438Albert II of Habsburg becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1608Susenyos is formally crowned Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1644The Third Anglo-Powhatan War begins in the Colony of Virginia.
- 1741New York governor George Clarke’s complex at Fort George is burned in an arson attack, starting the New York Conspiracy of 1741.
- 1766American Revolution: The British Parliament repeals the Stamp Act.
- 1793The first republic in Germany, the Republic of Mainz, is declared by Andreas Joseph Hofmann.
- 1834Six farm labourers from Tolpuddle, Dorset, England are sentenced to be transported to Australia for forming a trade union.
- 1848March Revolution: In Berlin there is a struggle between citizens and military, costing about 300 lives.
- 1850American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- 1865American Civil War: The Congress of the Confederate States adjourns for the last time.
- 1871Declaration of the Paris Commune; President of the French Republic, Adolphe Thiers, orders the evacuation of Paris.
- 1874Hawaii signs a treaty with the United States granting exclusive trade rights.
- 1892Former Governor General Lord Stanley pledges to donate a silver challenge cup, later named after him, as an award for the best hockey team in Canada the Stanley Cup.
- 1906Traian Vuia flies a heavier-than-air aircraft for 11 meters at an altitude of one meter.
- 1913King George I of Greece is assassinated in the recently liberated city of Thessaloniki.
- 1915World War I: During the Battle of Gallipoli, three battleships are sunk during a failed British and French naval attack on the Dardanelles.
- 1921The second Peace of Riga is signed between Poland and the Soviet Union.
- 1922In India, Mohandas Gandhi is sentenced to six years in prison for civil disobedience, of which he serves only two.
- 1925The Tri-State Tornado hits the Midwestern states of Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana, killing 695 people.
- 1937The New London School explosion in New London, Texas, kills 300 people, mostly children.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: Spanish Republican forces defeat the Italians at the Battle of Guadalajara.
- 1937A human-powered aircraft, Pedaliante, flies 1 km outside Milan, Italy.
- 1938Mexico nationalizes all foreign-owned oil properties within its borders.
- 1940World War II: Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini meet at the Brenner Pass in the Alps and agree to form an alliance against France and the United Kingdom.
- 1942The War Relocation Authority is established in the United States to take Japanese Americans into custody.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!