The following events took place on March 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 37The Roman Senate annuls Tiberius’s will and proclaims Caligula emperor.
- 633Ridda wars: The Arabian Peninsula is united under the central authority of Caliph Abu Bakr.
- 1229Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, declares himself King of Jerusalem in the Sixth Crusade.
- 1241First Mongol invasion of Poland: Mongols overwhelm Polish armies in Kraków in the Battle of Chmielnik and plunder the city.
- 1314Jacques de Molay, the 23rd and the last Grand Master of the Knights Templar, is burned at the stake.
- 1438Albert II of Habsburg becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1608Susenyos is formally crowned Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1644The Third Anglo-Powhatan War begins in the Colony of Virginia.
- 1741New York governor George Clarke’s complex at Fort George is burned in an arson attack, starting the New York Conspiracy of 1741.
- 1766American Revolution: The British Parliament repeals the Stamp Act.
- 1793The first republic in Germany, the Republic of Mainz, is declared by Andreas Joseph Hofmann.
- 1834Six farm labourers from Tolpuddle, Dorset, England are sentenced to be transported to Australia for forming a trade union.
- 1848March Revolution: In Berlin there is a struggle between citizens and military, costing about 300 lives.
- 1850American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- 1865American Civil War: The Congress of the Confederate States adjourns for the last time.
- 1871Declaration of the Paris Commune; President of the French Republic, Adolphe Thiers, orders the evacuation of Paris.
- 1874Hawaii signs a treaty with the United States granting exclusive trade rights.
- 1892Former Governor General Lord Stanley pledges to donate a silver challenge cup, later named after him, as an award for the best hockey team in Canada the Stanley Cup.
- 1906Traian Vuia flies a heavier-than-air aircraft for 11 meters at an altitude of one meter.
- 1913King George I of Greece is assassinated in the recently liberated city of Thessaloniki.
- 1915World War I: During the Battle of Gallipoli, three battleships are sunk during a failed British and French naval attack on the Dardanelles.
- 1921The second Peace of Riga is signed between Poland and the Soviet Union.
- 1922In India, Mohandas Gandhi is sentenced to six years in prison for civil disobedience, of which he serves only two.
- 1925The Tri-State Tornado hits the Midwestern states of Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana, killing 695 people.
- 1937The New London School explosion in New London, Texas, kills 300 people, mostly children.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: Spanish Republican forces defeat the Italians at the Battle of Guadalajara.
- 1937A human-powered aircraft, Pedaliante, flies 1 km outside Milan, Italy.
- 1938Mexico nationalizes all foreign-owned oil properties within its borders.
- 1940World War II: Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini meet at the Brenner Pass in the Alps and agree to form an alliance against France and the United Kingdom.
- 1942The War Relocation Authority is established in the United States to take Japanese Americans into custody.
Curious about this Seoul Bubbles? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!