The following events took place on March 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 238Gordian I and his son Gordian II are proclaimed Roman emperors.
- 871Æthelred of Wessex defeats a Danish invasion army at the Battle of Marton.
- 1508Ferdinand II of Aragon commissions Amerigo Vespucci chief navigator of the Spanish Empire.
- 1621The Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony sign a peace treaty with Massasoit of the Wampanoags.
- 1622Jamestown massacre: Algonquian Indians kill 347 English settlers around Jamestown, Virginia, a third of the colony’s population, during the Second Anglo-Powhatan War.
- 1630The Massachusetts Bay Colony outlaws the possession of cards, dice, and gaming tables.
- 1638Anne Hutchinson is expelled from Massachusetts Bay Colony for religious dissent.
- 1697Charles II of Spain issued a Royal Cedula extending to the indigenous nobles of the Spanish Crown colonies, as well as to their descendants, the preeminence and honors customarily attributed to the Hidalgos of Castile.
- 1713The Tuscarora War comes to an end with the fall of Fort Neoheroka, effectively opening up the interior of North Carolina to European colonization.
- 1739Nader Shah occupies Delhi in India and sacks the city, stealing the jewels of the Peacock Throne.
- 1765The British Parliament passes the Stamp Act that introduces a tax to be levied directly on its American colonies.
- 1784The Emerald Buddha is moved with great ceremony to its current location in Wat Phra Kaew, Thailand.
- 1829In the London Protocol, the three protecting powers (United Kingdom, France and Russia) establish the borders of Greece.
- 1849The Austrians defeat the Piedmontese at the Battle of Novara.
- 1871In North Carolina, William Woods Holden becomes the first governor of a U.S. state to be removed from office by impeachment.
- 1872Illinois becomes the first state to require sexual equality in employment
- 1873A law is approved by the Spanish National Assembly in Puerto Rico to abolish slavery.
- 1894The first playoff game for the Stanley Cup starts.
- 1906The first England vs France rugby union match is played at Parc des Princes in Paris
- 1912The State of Bihar, India was formed out of the State of Bengal.
- 1916The last Emperor of China, Yuan Shikai, abdicates the throne and the Republic of China is restored.
- 1920Azeri and Turkish army soldiers with participation of Kurdish gangs attacked the Armenian inhabitants of Shushi (Nagorno Karabakh).
- 1939World War II: Germany takes Memel from Lithuania.
- 1942World War II: In the Mediterranean Sea, the Royal Navy confronts Italy’s Regia Marina in the Second Battle of Sirte.
- 1943World War II: the entire population of Khatyn in Belarus is burnt alive by German occupation forces.
- 1945The Arab League is founded when a charter is adopted in Cairo, Egypt.
- 1954Closed since 1939, the London bullion market reopens.
- 1960Arthur Leonard Schawlow and Charles Hard Townes receive the first patent for a laser
- 1963The Beatles’ first album, Please Please Me, is released in the United Kingdom.
- 1972The United States Congress sends the Equal Rights Amendment to the states for ratification.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)