The following events took place on May 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 567 BCServius Tullius, the king of Rome, celebrates a triumph for his victory over the Etruscans.
- 240 BCFirst recorded perihelion passage of Halley’s Comet.
- 1085Alfonso VI of Castile takes Toledo, Spain, back from the Moors.
- 1420Henry the Navigator is appointed governor of the Order of Christ.
- 1521The Diet of Worms ends when Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, issues the Edict of Worms, declaring Martin Luther an outlaw.
- 1644Ming general Wu Sangui forms an alliance with the invading Manchus and opens the gates of the Great Wall of China at Shanhaiguan pass, letting the Manchus through towards the capital Beijing.
- 1659Richard Cromwell resigns as Lord Protector of England following the restoration of the Long Parliament, beginning a second brief period of the republican government called the Commonwealth of England.
- 1738A treaty between Pennsylvania and Maryland ends the Conojocular War with settlement of a boundary dispute and exchange of prisoners.
- 1798United Irishmen Rebellion: Battle of Carlow begins; executions of suspected rebels at Carnew and at Dunlavin Green take place.
- 1809Chuquisaca Revolution: Patriot revolt in Chuquisaca (modern day Sucre) against the Spanish Empire, sparking the Latin American wars of independence.
- 1810May Revolution: citizens of Buenos Aires expel Viceroy Baltasar Hidalgo de Cisneros during the May week, starting the Argentine War of Independence.
- 1819The Argentine Constitution of 1819 is promulgated.
- 1833The Chilean Constitution of 1833 is promulgated.
- 1837The Rebels of Lower Canada (Quebec) rebel against the British for freedom.
- 1865In Mobile, Alabama, 300 are killed when an ordnance depot explodes.
- 1878Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic opera H.M.S. Pinafore opens at the Opera Comique in London.
- 1895The playwright, poet, and novelist Oscar Wilde is convicted of “committing acts of gross indecency with other male persons” and sentenced to serve two years in prison.
- 1895The Republic of Formosa is formed, with Tang Ching-sung as its president.
- 1914The House of Commons of the United Kingdom passes the Home Rule Act for devolution in Ireland.
- 1925Scopes Trial: John T. Scopes is indicted for teaching Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution in Tennessee.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)