The following events took place on November 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 534 BCThespis of Icaria becomes the first recorded actor to portray a character onstage.
- 1174Saladin enters Damascus, and adds it to his domain.
- 1248Conquest of Seville by Christian troops under King Ferdinand III of Castile.
- 1499Pretender to the throne Perkin Warbeck is hanged for reportedly attempting to escape from the Tower of London. He had invaded England in 1497, claiming to be the lost son of King Edward IV of England.
- 1510First campaign of the Ottoman Empire against the Kingdom of Imereti (modern western Georgia). Ottoman armies sack the capital Kutaisi and burn Gelati Monastery.
- 1531The Second War of Kappel results in the dissolution of the Protestant alliance in Switzerland.
- 1644John Milton publishes Areopagitica, a pamphlet decrying censorship.
- 1733The start of the 1733 slave insurrection on St. John in what was then the Danish West Indies.
- 1808French and Poles defeat the Spanish at battle of Tudela.
- 1810Sarah Booth debuts at the Royal Opera House.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Chattanooga begins: Union forces led by General Ulysses S. Grant reinforce troops at Chattanooga, Tennessee, and counter-attack Confederate troops.
- 1867The Manchester Martyrs are hanged in Manchester, England, for killing a police officer while freeing two Irish nationalists from custody.
- 1876Corrupt Tammany Hall leader William Magear Tweed (better known as Boss Tweed) is delivered to authorities in New York City after being captured in Spain.
- 1889The first jukebox goes into operation at the Palais Royale Saloon in San Francisco.
- 1890King William III of the Netherlands dies without a male heir and a special law is passed to allow his daughter Princess Wilhelmina to succeed him.
- 1910Johan Alfred Ander becomes the last person to be executed in Sweden.
- 1914Mexican Revolution: The last of U.S. forces withdraw from Veracruz, occupied seven months earlier in response to the Tampico Affair.
- 1918Heber J. Grant succeeds Joseph F. Smith as the seventh president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- 1924Edwin Hubble’s scientific discovery that Andromeda, previously believed to be a nebula within our galaxy, is actually another galaxy, and that the Milky Way is only one of many such galaxies in the universe, was first published in a newspaper.citation needed date=November 2014
- 1934An Anglo-Ethiopian boundary commission in the Ogaden discovers an Italian garrison at Walwal, well within Ethiopian territory. This leads to the Abyssinia Crisis.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)