The following events took place on November 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 960Battle of Andrassos: Byzantines under Leo Phokas the Younger score a crushing victory over the Hamdanid Emir of Aleppo, Sayf al-Dawla.
- 1278Trần Thánh Tông, the second emperor of the Trần dynasty, decides to pass the throne to his crown prince Trần Khâm and take up the post of Retired Emperor.
- 1519Hernán Cortés enters Tenochtitlán and Aztec ruler Moctezuma welcomes him with a great celebration.
- 1520Stockholm Bloodbath begins: A successful invasion of Sweden by Danish forces results in the execution of around 100 people.
- 1576Eighty Years’ War: Pacification of Ghent – The States General of the Netherlands meet and unite to oppose Spanish occupation.
- 1602The Bodleian Library at the University of Oxford is opened to the public.
- 1605Robert Catesby, ringleader of the Gunpowder Plotters, is killed.
- 1614Japanese daimyo Dom Justo Takayama is exiled to the Philippines by shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu for being Christian.
- 1620The Battle of White Mountain takes place near Prague, ending in a decisive Catholic victory in only two hours.
- 1644The Shunzhi Emperor, the third emperor of the Qing dynasty, is enthroned in Beijing after the collapse of the Ming dynasty as the first Qing emperor to rule over China.
- 1745Charles Edward Stuart invades England with an army of ~5000 that would later participate in the Battle of Culloden.
- 1837Mary Lyon founds Mount Holyoke Female Seminary, which later becomes Mount Holyoke College.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Trent Affair” – The USS San Jacinto stops the British mail ship Trent and arrests two Confederate envoys, sparking a diplomatic crisis between the UK and US.
- 1889Montana is admitted as the 41st U.S. state.
- 1892The New Orleans general strike begins, uniting black and white American trade unionists in a successful four-day general strike action for the first time.
- 1895While experimenting with electricity, Wilhelm Röntgen discovers the X-ray.
- 1898The Wilmington Insurrection of 1898, the only instance of an attempted coup d'état in American history.
- 1901Bloody clashes take place in Athens following the translation of the Gospels into demotic Greek.
- 1917The People’s Commissars give authority to Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, and Joseph Stalin.
- 1923Beer Hall Putsch: In Munich, Adolf Hitler leads the Nazis in an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the German government.
- 1933Great Depression: New Deal – US President Franklin D. Roosevelt unveils the Civil Works Administration, an organization designed to create jobs for more than 4 million unemployed.
- 1936Spanish Civil War: Francoist troops fail in their effort to capture Madrid, but begin the 3-year Siege of Madrid afterwards.
- 1937The Nazi exhibition Der ewige Jude (“The Eternal Jew”) opens in Munich.
- 1939Venlo Incident: Two British agents of SIS are captured by the Germans.
- 1939In Munich, Adolf Hitler narrowly escapes the assassination attempt of Georg Elser while celebrating the 16th anniversary of the Beer Hall Putsch.
- 1940Greco-Italian War: The Italian invasion of Greece fails as outnumbered Greek units repulse the Italians in the Battle of Elaia–Kalamas.
- 1942World War II: Operation Torch – United States and United Kingdom forces land in French North Africa.
- 1942World War II: French resistance coup in Algiers, in which 400 civilian French patriots neutralize Vichyist XIXth Army Corps after 15 hours of fighting, and arrest several Vichyst generals, allowing the immediate success of Operation Torch in Algiers.
- 1950Korean War: United States Air Force Lt. Russell J. Brown, while piloting an F-80 Shooting Star, shoots down two North Korean MiG-15s in the first jet aircraft-to-jet aircraft dogfight in history.
- 1957Operation Grapple X, Round C1: the United Kingdom conducts its first successful hydrogen bomb test over Kiritimati in the Pacific.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)