The following events took place on October 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 680Battle of Karbala: Husayn ibn Ali, the grandson of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad, is decapitated by forces under Caliph Yazid I. This is commemorated by Muslims as Aashurah.
- 732Battle of Tours: Near Poitiers, France, the leader of the Franks, Charles Martel and his men, defeat a large army of Moors, stopping the Muslims from spreading into Western Europe. The governor of Córdoba, Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi, is killed during the battle.
- 1471Battle of Brunkeberg in Stockholm: Sten Sture the Elder, the Regent of Sweden, with the help of farmers and miners, repels an attack by King Christian I of Denmark.
- 1575Battle of Dormans: Roman Catholic forces under Henry I, Duke of Guise defeat the Protestants, capturing Philippe de Mornay among others.
- 1580Over 600 papal troops land at Dún an Óir, Ireland to support a rebellion.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1631An Electorate of Saxony army takes over Prague.
- 1760In a treaty with the Dutch colonial authorities, the Ndyuka people of Suriname – descended from escaped slaves – gain territorial autonomy.
- 1780The Great Hurricane of 1780 kills 20,000–30,000 in the Caribbean.
- 1845In Annapolis, Maryland, the Naval School (later renamed the United States Naval Academy) opens with 50 midshipman students and seven professors.
- 1846Triton, the largest moon of the planet Neptune, is discovered by English astronomer William Lassell.
- 1868Carlos Céspedes issues the Grito de Yara from his plantation, La Demajagua, proclaiming Cuba’s independence
- 1871The Great Chicago Fire: Chicago burns after a barn accident. The fire lasts from October 8 to October 10.
- 1897German chemist Felix Hoffmann discovers an improved way of synthesizing acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin).
- 1903The Women’s Social and Political Union was founded by Emmeline Pankhurst
- 1911The Wuchang Uprising leads to the demise of the Qing dynasty, the last Imperial court in China, and the founding of the Republic of China.
- 1913United States President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike thus ending construction on the Panama Canal.
- 1920The Carinthian plebiscite determines that the larger part of the Duchy of Carinthia should remain part of Austria.
- 1928Chiang Kai-shek becomes Chairman of the Republic of China.
- 1933United Airlines Boeing 247 mid-air explosion: A United Airlines Boeing 247 is destroyed by sabotage, the first such proven case in the history of commercial aviation.
- 1935A coup d'état by the royalist leadership of the Greek Armed Forces takes place in Athens. It overthrows the government of Panagis Tsaldaris and establishes a regency under Georgios Kondylis, effectively ending the Second Hellenic Republic.
- 1938The Munich Agreement cedes the Sudetenland to Nazi Germany.
- 1942The Soviet Union establishes diplomatic relations with Australia.
- 1943Double Tenth incident in Japanese-controlled Singapore
- 1945The Chinese Communist Party and the Kuomintang signed a principle agreement in Chongqing about the future of post-war China. Later, the pact is commonly referred to as the Double Tenth Agreement.
- 1953Mutual Defense Treaty Between the United States and the Republic of Korea is concluded in Washington, D.C.
- 1957U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower apologizes to the finance minister of Ghana, Komla Agbeli Gbedemah, after he is refused service in a Dover, Delaware restaurant.
- 1957The Windscale fire in Cumbria, U.K. is the world’s first major nuclear accident.
- 1963France cedes control of the Bizerte naval base to Tunisia.
- 1964The opening ceremony of the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, is broadcast live in the first Olympic telecast relayed by geostationary communication satellite.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)