The following events took place on October 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 680Battle of Karbala: Husayn ibn Ali, the grandson of the Islamic prophet, Muhammad, is decapitated by forces under Caliph Yazid I. This is commemorated by Muslims as Aashurah.
- 732Battle of Tours: Near Poitiers, France, the leader of the Franks, Charles Martel and his men, defeat a large army of Moors, stopping the Muslims from spreading into Western Europe. The governor of Córdoba, Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi, is killed during the battle.
- 1471Battle of Brunkeberg in Stockholm: Sten Sture the Elder, the Regent of Sweden, with the help of farmers and miners, repels an attack by King Christian I of Denmark.
- 1575Battle of Dormans: Roman Catholic forces under Henry I, Duke of Guise defeat the Protestants, capturing Philippe de Mornay among others.
- 1580Over 600 papal troops land at Dún an Óir, Ireland to support a rebellion.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1631An Electorate of Saxony army takes over Prague.
- 1760In a treaty with the Dutch colonial authorities, the Ndyuka people of Suriname – descended from escaped slaves – gain territorial autonomy.
- 1780The Great Hurricane of 1780 kills 20,000–30,000 in the Caribbean.
- 1845In Annapolis, Maryland, the Naval School (later renamed the United States Naval Academy) opens with 50 midshipman students and seven professors.
- 1846Triton, the largest moon of the planet Neptune, is discovered by English astronomer William Lassell.
- 1868Carlos Céspedes issues the Grito de Yara from his plantation, La Demajagua, proclaiming Cuba’s independence
- 1871The Great Chicago Fire: Chicago burns after a barn accident. The fire lasts from October 8 to October 10.
- 1897German chemist Felix Hoffmann discovers an improved way of synthesizing acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin).
- 1903The Women’s Social and Political Union was founded by Emmeline Pankhurst
- 1911The Wuchang Uprising leads to the demise of the Qing dynasty, the last Imperial court in China, and the founding of the Republic of China.
- 1913United States President Woodrow Wilson triggers the explosion of the Gamboa Dike thus ending construction on the Panama Canal.
- 1920The Carinthian plebiscite determines that the larger part of the Duchy of Carinthia should remain part of Austria.
- 1928Chiang Kai-shek becomes Chairman of the Republic of China.
- 1933United Airlines Boeing 247 mid-air explosion: A United Airlines Boeing 247 is destroyed by sabotage, the first such proven case in the history of commercial aviation.
- 1935A coup d'état by the royalist leadership of the Greek Armed Forces takes place in Athens. It overthrows the government of Panagis Tsaldaris and establishes a regency under Georgios Kondylis, effectively ending the Second Hellenic Republic.
- 1938The Munich Agreement cedes the Sudetenland to Nazi Germany.
- 1942The Soviet Union establishes diplomatic relations with Australia.
- 1943Double Tenth incident in Japanese-controlled Singapore
- 1945The Chinese Communist Party and the Kuomintang signed a principle agreement in Chongqing about the future of post-war China. Later, the pact is commonly referred to as the Double Tenth Agreement.
- 1953Mutual Defense Treaty Between the United States and the Republic of Korea is concluded in Washington, D.C.
- 1957U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower apologizes to the finance minister of Ghana, Komla Agbeli Gbedemah, after he is refused service in a Dover, Delaware restaurant.
- 1957The Windscale fire in Cumbria, U.K. is the world’s first major nuclear accident.
- 1963France cedes control of the Bizerte naval base to Tunisia.
- 1964The opening ceremony of the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan, is broadcast live in the first Olympic telecast relayed by geostationary communication satellite.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZDUWAXTYOHY? Check your answers here: Word search ZDUWAXTYOHY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)