The following events took place on October 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1138A massive earthquake strikes Aleppo, Syria.
- 1142A peace treaty between the Jin dynasty and Southern Song dynasty is formally ratified when a Jin envoy visits the Song court during the Jin–Song wars.
- 1531Huldrych Zwingli is killed in battle with the Roman Catholic cantons of Switzerland.
- 1582Because of the adoption of the Gregorian calendar, this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1614Adriaen Block and 12 Amsterdam merchants petition the States General for exclusive trading rights in the New Netherland colony.
- 1634The Burchardi flood: “The second Grote Mandrenke” killed around 15,000 men in North Friesland, Denmark and Germany.
- 1649Sack of Wexford: After a ten-day siege, English New Model Army troops (under Oliver Cromwell) stormed the town of Wexford, killing over 2,000 Irish Confederate troops and 1,500 civilians.
- 1727George II and Caroline of Ansbach are crowned King and Queen of Great Britain.
- 1767Surveying for the Mason–Dixon line separating Maryland from Pennsylvania is completed.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of Valcour Island: On Lake Champlain a fleet of American boats is defeated by the Royal Navy, but delays the British advance until 1777.
- 1797Battle of Camperdown: Naval battle between Royal Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy during the French Revolutionary Wars. The outcome of the battle was a decisive British victory.
- 1809Along the Natchez Trace in Tennessee, explorer Meriwether Lewis dies under mysterious circumstances at an inn called Grinder’s Stand.
- 1811Inventor John Stevens’ boat, the Juliana, begins operation as the first steam-powered ferry (service between New York City, New York, and Hoboken, New Jersey).
- 1833A big demonstration at the gates of the legislature of Buenos Aires forces the ousting of governor Juan Ramón Balcarce and his replacement with Juan José Viamonte.
- 1852The University of Sydney, Australia’s oldest university, is inaugurated in Sydney.
- 1862American Civil War: In the aftermath of the Battle of Antietam, Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart and his men loot Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, during a raid into the north.
- 1864Campina Grande, Brazil, is established as a city.
- 1865Paul Bogle led hundreds of black men and women in a march in Jamaica, starting the Morant Bay rebellion.
- 1890In Washington, D.C., the Daughters of the American Revolution is founded.
- 1899Second Boer War begins: In South Africa, a war between the United Kingdom and the Boers of the Transvaal and Orange Free State erupts.
- 1899The Western League is renamed the American League.
- 1906San Francisco public school board sparks a diplomatic crisis between the United States and Japan by ordering Japanese students to be taught in racially segregated schools.
- 1910Former President Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first U.S. president to fly in an airplane. He flew for four minutes with Arch Hoxsey in a plane built by the Wright brothers at Kinloch Field (Lambert–St. Louis International Airport), St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Greek Army liberates the city of Kozani.
- 1918San Fermín earthquake hits western Puerto Rico.
- 1929J. C. Penney opens store #1252 in Milford, Delaware, making it a nationwide company with stores in all 48 U.S. states.
- 1941Beginning of the National Liberation War of Macedonia.
- 1942World War II: Battle of Cape Esperance: On the northwest coast of Guadalcanal, United States Navy ships intercept and defeat a Japanese fleet on their way to reinforce troops on the island.
- 1944Tuvan People’s Republic or formerly Tannu Tuva is annexed by the U.S.S.R.
- 1950Television: CBS’s mechanical color system is the first to be licensed for broadcast by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!