The following events took place on October 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 320Pappus of Alexandria, Greek philosopher, observes an eclipse of the Sun and writes a commentary on The Great Astronomer (Almagest).
- 614King Chlothar II promulgates the Edict of Paris (Edictum Chlotacharii), a sort of Frankish Magna Carta that defend the rights of the Frankish nobles while it excludes Jews from all civil employment in the Frankish Kingdom.
- 629Dagobert I is crowned King of the Franks.
- 1009The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, a Christian church in Jerusalem, is completely destroyed by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, who hacks the Church’s foundations down to bedrock.
- 1016The Danes defeat the Saxons in the Battle of Assandun.
- 1081The Normans defeat the Byzantine Empire in the Battle of Dyrrhachium.
- 1210Pope Innocent III excommunicates Otto IV, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1356Basel earthquake, the most significant historic seismological event north of the Alps, destroys the town of Basel, Switzerland.
- 1386Opening of Heidelberg University.
- 1540Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto’s forces destroy the fortified town of Mabila in present-day Alabama, killing Tuskaloosa.
- 1599Michael the Brave, Prince of Wallachia, defeats the Army of Andrew Báthory in the Battle of Șelimbăr, leading to the first recorded unification of the Romanian people.
- 1648Boston Shoemakers form first American labor organization.
- 1748Signing of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle ends the War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1775African-American poet Phillis Wheatley is freed from slavery.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The Burning of Falmouth (now Portland, Maine).
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Franco-American Siege of Savannah is lifted.
- 1797Treaty of Campo Formio is signed between France and Austria
- 1851Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick is first published as The Whale by Richard Bentley of London.
- 1860The Second Opium War finally ends at the Convention of Peking with the ratification of the Treaty of Tientsin, an unequal treaty.
- 1867United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million. Celebrated annually in the state as Alaska Day.
- 1898The United States takes possession of Puerto Rico from Spain.
- 1912First Balkan War: King Peter I of Serbia issues a declaration “To the Serbian People”, as his country joins the war.
- 1914The Schoenstatt Movement is founded in Germany.
- 1921The Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic is formed as part of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic.
- 1922The British Broadcasting Company (later Corporation) is founded by a consortium, to establish a nationwide network of radio transmitters to provide a national broadcasting service.
- 1929The Judicial Committee of the Privy Council overrules the Supreme Court of Canada in Edwards v. Canada when it declares that women are considered “Persons” under Canadian law.
- 1944World War II: Soviet Union begins the liberation of Czechoslovakia from Nazi Germany.
- 1945The USSR’s nuclear program receives plans for the United States plutonium bomb from Klaus Fuchs at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1945A group of the Venezuelan Armed Forces, led by Mario Vargas, Marcos Pérez Jiménez and Carlos Delgado Chalbaud, stages a coup d'état against president Isaías Medina Angarita, who is overthrown by the end of the day.
- 1945Argentine military officer and politician Juan Perón marries actress Eva “Evita” Duarte.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)