The following events took place on October 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 320Pappus of Alexandria, Greek philosopher, observes an eclipse of the Sun and writes a commentary on The Great Astronomer (Almagest).
- 614King Chlothar II promulgates the Edict of Paris (Edictum Chlotacharii), a sort of Frankish Magna Carta that defend the rights of the Frankish nobles while it excludes Jews from all civil employment in the Frankish Kingdom.
- 629Dagobert I is crowned King of the Franks.
- 1009The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, a Christian church in Jerusalem, is completely destroyed by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, who hacks the Church’s foundations down to bedrock.
- 1016The Danes defeat the Saxons in the Battle of Assandun.
- 1081The Normans defeat the Byzantine Empire in the Battle of Dyrrhachium.
- 1210Pope Innocent III excommunicates Otto IV, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1356Basel earthquake, the most significant historic seismological event north of the Alps, destroys the town of Basel, Switzerland.
- 1386Opening of Heidelberg University.
- 1540Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto’s forces destroy the fortified town of Mabila in present-day Alabama, killing Tuskaloosa.
- 1599Michael the Brave, Prince of Wallachia, defeats the Army of Andrew Báthory in the Battle of Șelimbăr, leading to the first recorded unification of the Romanian people.
- 1648Boston Shoemakers form first American labor organization.
- 1748Signing of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle ends the War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1775African-American poet Phillis Wheatley is freed from slavery.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The Burning of Falmouth (now Portland, Maine).
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Franco-American Siege of Savannah is lifted.
- 1797Treaty of Campo Formio is signed between France and Austria
- 1851Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick is first published as The Whale by Richard Bentley of London.
- 1860The Second Opium War finally ends at the Convention of Peking with the ratification of the Treaty of Tientsin, an unequal treaty.
- 1867United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million. Celebrated annually in the state as Alaska Day.
- 1898The United States takes possession of Puerto Rico from Spain.
- 1912First Balkan War: King Peter I of Serbia issues a declaration “To the Serbian People”, as his country joins the war.
- 1914The Schoenstatt Movement is founded in Germany.
- 1921The Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic is formed as part of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic.
- 1922The British Broadcasting Company (later Corporation) is founded by a consortium, to establish a nationwide network of radio transmitters to provide a national broadcasting service.
- 1929The Judicial Committee of the Privy Council overrules the Supreme Court of Canada in Edwards v. Canada when it declares that women are considered “Persons” under Canadian law.
- 1944World War II: Soviet Union begins the liberation of Czechoslovakia from Nazi Germany.
- 1945The USSR’s nuclear program receives plans for the United States plutonium bomb from Klaus Fuchs at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1945A group of the Venezuelan Armed Forces, led by Mario Vargas, Marcos Pérez Jiménez and Carlos Delgado Chalbaud, stages a coup d'état against president Isaías Medina Angarita, who is overthrown by the end of the day.
- 1945Argentine military officer and politician Juan Perón marries actress Eva “Evita” Duarte.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OQOAXVODHZ? Check your answers here: Word scramble OQOAXVODHZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)