The following events took place on October 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 38 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1548The city of Nuestra Señora de La Paz (Our Lady of Peace) is founded by Alonso de Mendoza by appointment of the king of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V.
- 1572Relief of Goes: Cristóbal de Mondragón, with 3000 soldiers of the Spanish Tercios, relieves the siege of the city.
- 1720Caribbean pirate Calico Jack is captured by the Royal Navy.
- 1740Maria Theresa takes the throne of Austria. France, Prussia, Bavaria and Saxony refuse to honour the Pragmatic Sanction and the War of the Austrian Succession begins.
- 1781The Patent of Toleration, providing limited freedom of worship, is approved in Habsburg Monarchy.
- 1803The United States Senate ratifies the Louisiana Purchase.
- 1805General Mack’s army surrenders to Napoleon at Ulm after a few skirmishes.
- 1818The Convention of 1818 is signed between the United States and the United Kingdom, which settles the Canada–United States border on the 49th parallel for most of its length.
- 1827In the Battle of Navarino, a combined Turkish and Egyptian fleet is defeated by British, French, and Russian naval forces in the last significant battle fought with wooden sailing ships.
- 1873Yale, Princeton, Columbia, and Rutgers universities draft the first code of American football rules.
- 1883Peru and Chile sign the Treaty of Ancón, by which the Tarapacá province is ceded to the latter, bringing an end to Peru’s involvement in the War of the Pacific.
- 1904Chile and Bolivia sign the Treaty of Peace and Friendship, delimiting the border between the two countries.
- 1910The hull of the RMS Olympic, sister-ship to the ill-fated RMS Titanic, is launched from the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- 1935The Long March, a mammoth retreat undertaken by the armed forces of the Chinese Communist Party a year prior, ends.
- 1939Pope Pius XII publishes his first major encyclical, entitled Summi Pontificatus.
- 1941World War II: Thousands of civilians in Kragujevac in German-occupied Serbia are murdered in the Kragujevac massacre.
- 1944The Soviet Army and Yugoslav Partisans liberate Belgrade, the capital of Yugoslavia
- 1944Liquefied natural gas leaks from storage tanks in Cleveland and then explodes; the explosion and resulting fire level 30 blocks and kill 130.
- 1944American general Douglas MacArthur fulfills his promise to return to the Philippines when he commands an Allied assault on the islands, reclaiming them from the Japanese during the Second World War.
- 1946Government of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam decides that October 20 is Vietnam Women’s Day.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)