The following events took place on October 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 306Martyrdom of Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki.
- 1185The Uprising of Asen and Peter begins on the feast day of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki and ends with the creation of the Second Bulgarian Empire, ruled by the Asen dynasty.
- 1341The Byzantine civil war of 1341–47 formally begins with the proclamation of John VI Kantakouzenos as Byzantine Emperor at Didymoteicho.
- 1377Tvrtko I is crowned the first king of Bosnia.
- 1520Charles V is crowned.
- 1597Imjin War: Admiral Yi Sun-sin routs the Japanese Navy of 300 ships with only 13 ships at the Battle of Myeongnyang.
- 1640The Treaty of Ripon is signed, restoring peace between Scotland and Charles I of England.
- 1689General Piccolomini of Austria burns down Skopje to prevent the spread of cholera. He died of cholera himself soon after.
- 1774The first Continental Congress adjourns in Philadelphia.
- 1775King George III of Great Britain goes before Parliament to declare the American colonies in rebellion, and authorized a military response to quell the American Revolution.
- 1776Benjamin Franklin departs from America for France on a mission to seek French support for the American Revolution.
- 1811The Argentine government declare the freedom of expression for the press by decree.
- 1813War of 1812: A combined force of British regulars, Canadian militia, and Mohawks defeat the Americans in the Battle of the Chateauguay.
- 1825The Erie Canal opens: Passage from Albany, New York to Lake Erie.
- 1859The Royal Charter is wrecked on the coast of Anglesey, north Wales with 459 dead.
- 1860Meeting of Teano. Giuseppe Garibaldi, conqueror of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, gives it to King Victor Emmanuel II of Italy.
- 1861The Pony Express officially ceases operations.
- 1863The Football Association, the oldest football association in the world, is formed in London.
- 1881The Gunfight at the O.K. Corral takes place at Tombstone, Arizona.
- 1905Sweden accepted the independence of Norway.
- 1909Itō Hirobumi, four time Prime Minister of Japan (the 1st, 5th, 7th and 10th) and Resident-General of Korea, is assassinated by An Jung-geun at the Harbin train station in Manchuria.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Ottoman occupied city of Thessaloniki, is liberated and unified with Greece on the feast day of its patron saint Demetrius. On the same day, Serbian troops captured Skopje.
- 1917World War I: Battle of Caporetto; Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat to the forces of Austria-Hungary and Germany. The young unknown Oberleutnant Erwin Rommel captures Mount Matajur with only 100 Germans against a force of over 7000 Italians.
- 1917World War I: Brazil declares war on the Central Powers.
- 1918Erich Ludendorff, quartermaster-general of the Imperial German Army, is dismissed by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany for refusing to cooperate in peace negotiations.
- 1921The Chicago Theatre opens.
- 1936The first electric generator at Hoover Dam goes into full operation.
- 1940The P-51 Mustang makes its maiden flight.
- 1942World War II: In the Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands during the Guadalcanal Campaign, one U.S. aircraft carrier, Hornet, is sunk and another aircraft carrier, Enterprise, is heavily damaged, while two Japanese carriers and one cruiser are heavily damaged.
- 1943World War II: First flight of the Dornier Do 335 “Pfeil”.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!