The following events took place on October 28. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 97Emperor Nerva is forced by the Praetorian Guard to adopt general Marcus Ulpius Trajanus as his heir and successor.
- 306Maxentius is proclaimed Roman emperor.
- 312Battle of the Milvian Bridge: Constantine I defeats Maxentius, becoming the sole Roman emperor in the West.
- 456The Visigoths brutally sack the Suebi’s capital of Braga (Portugal), and the town’s churches are burnt to the ground.
- 969Byzantine general Michael Bourtzes seizes one of Antioch’s main wall towers, which he defends against repeated attacks for three days until the reinforcements led by the stratopedarches Peter arrive and secure the city for the Byzantines.
- 1061Empress Agnes, acting as regent for her son, brings about the election of bishop Cadalus, the antipope Honorius II.
- 1344The lower town of Smyrna is captured by Crusaders.
- 1420Beijing is officially designated the capital of the Ming dynasty on the same year that the Forbidden City, the seat of government, is completed.
- 1449Christian I is crowned king of Denmark.
- 1492Christopher Columbus discovered Cuba on his first voyage to the New World.
- 1516Battle of Yaunis Khan: Turkish forces under the Grand Vizier Sinan Pasha defeat the Mamluks near Gaza.
- 1531Battle of Amba Sel: Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi again defeats the army of Lebna Dengel, Emperor of Ethiopia. The southern part of Ethiopia falls under Imam Ahmad’s control.
- 1538The first university in the New World (in present-day Dominican Republic), the Universidad Santo Tomás de Aquino, is established.
- 1628French Wars of Religion: The Siege of La Rochelle, which had lasted for 14 months, ends with the surrender of the Huguenots.
- 1636A vote of the Great and General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony establishes the first college in what would become the United States, today known as Harvard University.
- 1664The Duke of York and Albany’s Maritime Regiment of Foot, later to be known as the Royal Marines, is established.
- 1707The 1707 Hōei earthquake causes more than 5,000 deaths in Honshu, Shikoku and Kyūshū, Japan
- 1775American Revolutionary War: A British proclamation forbids residents from leaving Boston.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: Battle of White Plains: British Army forces arrive at White Plains, attack and capture Chatterton Hill from the Americans.
- 1834The Pinjarra massacre occurred in the Swan River Colony at present-day Pinjarra, Western Australia. An estimated 30 Noongar people were killed by British colonists.
- 1835The United Tribes of New Zealand is established with the signature of the Declaration of Independence.
- 1848The first railroad in Spain between Barcelona and Mataró is opened.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Fair Oaks & Darbytown Road (also known as the Second Battle of Fair Oaks) ends: Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant withdraw from Fair Oaks, Virginia, after failing to breach the Confederate defenses around Richmond, Virginia.
- 1886In New York Harbor, President Grover Cleveland dedicates the Statue of Liberty. The first ticker tape parade takes place in New York City when office workers spontaneously throw ticker tape into the streets as the statue is dedicated.
- 1891The Mino–Owari earthquake, the largest inland earthquake in Japan’s history, strikes Gifu Prefecture.
- 1893Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique, receives its première performance in St. Petersburg, only nine days before the composer’s death.
- 1904Panama and Uruguay establish diplomatic links.
- 1915Richard Strauss conducts the first performance of his tone poem Eine Alpensinfonie in Berlin.
- 1918World War I: Czechoslovakia is granted independence from Austria-Hungary marking the beginning of an independent Czechoslovak state, after 300 years.
- 1918A new Polish government in Western Galicia is established.
Curious about this Purple Duhat Crunch? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!