The following events took place on October 3. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 38 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 52 BCVercingetorix, leader of the Gauls, surrenders to the Romans under Julius Caesar, ending the siege and Battle of Alesia.
- 42 BCFirst Battle of Philippi: Triumvirs Mark Antony and Octavian fight a decisive battle with Caesar’s assassins Brutus and Cassius.
- 382Roman Emperor Theodosius I concludes a peace treaty with the Goths and settles them in the Balkans in exchange for military service.
- 1283Dafydd ap Gruffydd, prince of Gwynedd in Wales, is the first nobleman to be executed by hanging, drawing and quartering.
- 1574The Siege of Leiden is lifted by the Watergeuzen.
- 1683The Qing dynasty naval commander Shi Lang reaches Taiwan (under the Kingdom of Tungning) to receive the formal surrender of Zheng Keshuang and Liu Guoxuan after the Battle of Penghu.
- 1712The Duke of Montrose issues a warrant for the arrest of Rob Roy MacGregor.
- 1739The Treaty of Niš is signed by the Ottoman Empire and Russia at the end of the Russian–Turkish War, 1736–39.
- 1778Captain James Cook anchors in Alaska.
- 1789George Washington makes the first Thanksgiving Day designated by the national government of the United States of America.
- 1835The Staedtler company is founded in Nuremberg, Germany.
- 1849American author Edgar Allan Poe is found delirious in a gutter in Baltimore under mysterious circumstances; it is the last time he is seen in public before his death.
- 1863The last Thursday in November is declared as Thanksgiving Day by United States President Abraham Lincoln as are Thursdays, November 30, 1865 and November 29, 1866.
- 1872The Bloomingdale brothers open their first store at 938 Third Avenue, New York City.
- 1873Captain Jack and companions are hanged for their part in the Modoc War.
- 1912U.S. forces defeat Nicaraguan rebels under the command of Benjamín Zeledón at the Battle of Coyotepe Hill.
- 1918King Boris III of Bulgaria accedes to the throne.
- 1919Cincinnati Reds pitcher Adolfo Luque becomes the first Latin player to appear in a World Series.
- 1929The Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes is renamed to Kingdom of Yugoslavia, “Land of the South Slavs”.
- 1932Iraq gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1935Second Italo-Abyssinian War: Italy invades Ethiopia under General de Bono.
- 1942Spaceflight: The first successful launch of a V-2 /A4-rocket from Test Stand VII at Peenemünde, Germany. It is the first man-made object to reach space.
- 1949WERD, the first black-owned radio station in the United States, opens in Atlanta.
- 1950Korean War: The First Battle of Maryang San, primarily pitting Australian and British forces against communist China, begins.
- 1952The United Kingdom successfully tests a nuclear weapon to become the world’s third nuclear power.
- 1957The California State Superior Court rules that Allen Ginsberg’s Howl and Other Poems is not obscene.
- 1962Project Mercury: Sigma 7 is launched from Cape Canaveral, with astronaut Wally Schirra aboard, for a six-orbit, nine-hour flight.
- 1963A violent coup in Honduras pre-empts the October 13 election, ends a period of reform, and begins two decades of military rule.
- 1981The hunger strike by Provisional Irish Republican Army and Irish National Liberation Army prisoners at the Maze Prison in Northern Ireland ends after seven months and ten deaths.
- 1985The Space Shuttle Atlantis makes its maiden flight. (Mission STS-51-J).
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!