The following events took place on October 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 23Rebels capture and sack the Chinese capital Chang'an during a peasant rebellion. They kill and decapitate the emperor, Wang Mang, two days later.
- 610Heraclius arrives by ship from Africa at Constantinople, overthrows Byzantine Emperor Phocas and becomes Emperor.
- 1227Assassination of Caliph al-Adil.
- 1302A peace treaty between the Byzantine Empire and the Republic of Venice ends the Byzantine–Venetian War (1296–1302).
- 1363End of the Battle of Lake Poyang; the Chinese rebel forces of Zhu Yuanzhang defeat that of his rival, Chen Youliang, in one of the largest naval battles in history.
- 1511Formation of the Holy League of Ferdinand II of Aragon, the Papal States and the Republic of Venice against France.
- 1535The first complete English-language Bible (the Coverdale Bible) is printed, with translations by William Tyndale and Myles Coverdale.
- 1582Pope Gregory XIII implements the Gregorian calendar. In Italy, Poland, Portugal, and Spain, October 4 of this year is followed directly by October 15.
- 1597The first Guale uprising begins against the Spanish missions in Georgia.
- 1636The Swedish Army defeats the armies of Saxony and the Holy Roman Empire at the Battle of Wittstock.
- 1693Battle of Marsaglia: Piedmontese troops are defeated by the French.
- 1725Foundation of Rosario in Argentina.
- 1777Battle of Germantown: Troops under George Washington are repelled by British troops under Sir William Howe.
- 1779The Fort Wilson Riot takes place.
- 1795Napoleon Bonaparte first rises to national prominence with a “Whiff of Grapeshot”, using cannon to suppress armed counter-revolutionary rioters threatening the French Legislature (National Convention).
- 1824Mexico adopts a new constitution and becomes a federal republic.
- 1830Creation of the Kingdom of Belgium after separation from the Netherlands.
- 1853Crimean War: The Ottoman Empire declares war on Russia.
- 1876Texas A&M University opens as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas, becoming the first public institution of higher education in Texas.
- 1883First run of the Orient Express.
- 1883First meeting of the Boys’ Brigade in Glasgow, Scotland.
- 1895The first U.S. Open Men’s Golf Championship administered by the United States Golf Association is played at the Newport Country Club in Newport, Rhode Island.
- 1917World War I: The Battle of Broodseinde fought between the British and German armies in Flanders.
- 1918An explosion kills more than 100 and destroys the T.A. Gillespie Company Shell Loading Plant in Sayreville, New Jersey. Fires and explosions continue for three days forcing massive evacuations and spreading ordnance over a wide area, pieces of which were still being found as of 2007.
- 1927Gutzon Borglum begins sculpting Mount Rushmore.
- 1936In the East End of London, marches staged by British fascists and various anti-fascist organizations result in violent clashes between them in what becomes known as the Battle of Cable Street.
- 1940Meeting between Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini at the Brenner Pass.
- 1941Norman Rockwell’s Willie Gillis character debuts on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post.
- 1943World War II: U.S. captures the Solomon Islands from the Japanese.
- 1957Space Race: Launch of Sputnik 1, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!