The following events took place on October 6. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 105 BCBattle of Arausio: The Cimbri inflict the heaviest defeat on the Roman army of Gnaeus Mallius Maximus.
- 69 BCBattle of Tigranocerta: Forces of the Roman Republic led by Lucullus defeat the army of the Kingdom of Armenia led by King Tigranes the Great.
- 23Rebels kill and decapitate the Xin dynasty emperor Wang Mang two days after the capital Chang'an is sacked during a peasant rebellion.
- 404Byzantine Empress Eudoxia has her seventh and last pregnancy which ends in a miscarriage. She is left bleeding and dies of an infection shortly after.
- 1539Spanish conquistador Hernando de Soto and his army enter the Apalachee capital of Anhaica (present-day Tallahassee, Florida) by force.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day is skipped in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1600Jacopo Peri’s Euridice, the earliest surviving opera, receives its première performance in Florence, signifying the beginning of the Baroque period
- 1683German immigrant families found Germantown in the colony of Pennsylvania, marking the first major immigration of German people to America.
- 1723Benjamin Franklin arrives in Philadelphia at the age of 17.
- 1762Seven Years’ War: Conclusion of the Battle of Manila between Britain and Spain, which resulted in the British occupation of Manila for the rest of the war.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: General Sir Henry Clinton leads British forces in the capture of Continental Army Hudson River defenses in the Battle of Forts Clinton and Montgomery.
- 1789French Revolution: Louis XVI returns to Paris from Versailles after being confronted by the Parisian women on October 5.
- 1849The execution of The 13 Martyrs of Arad after the Hungarian war of independence.
- 1854In England the Great fire of Newcastle and Gateshead starts shortly after midnight, leading to 53 deaths and hundreds injured.
- 1876The American Library Association was founded.
- 1884The Naval War College of the United States Navy is founded in Newport, Rhode Island.
- 1889American inventor Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture.
- 1898Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, the largest American music fraternity, is founded at the New England Conservatory of Music by Ossian Everett Mills.
- 1903The High Court of Australia sits for the first time.
- 1908Austria-Hungary annexes Bosnia-Herzegovina, sparking a crisis.
- 1910Eleftherios Venizelos is elected Prime Minister of Greece for the first time (seven times in total).
- 1923The great powers of World War I withdraw from Istanbul.
- 1927Opening of The Jazz Singer, the first prominent talking movie.
- 1939World War II: Germany’s invasion of Poland ends with the surrender of Independent Operational Group Polesie after the Battle of Kock
- 1942World War II: The October Matanikau action on Guadalcanal begins as United States Marine Corps forces attack Imperial Japanese Army units along the Matanikau River.
- 1945Baseball: Billy Sianis and his pet billy goat are ejected from Wrigley Field during Game 4 of the 1945 World Series.
- 1973Egypt launches a coordinated attack with Syria against Israel leading to the Yom Kippur War.
- 1976Cubana de Aviación Flight 455 crashes into the Atlantic Ocean shortly after taking off from Bridgetown, Barbados, after two bombs, placed on board by terrorists with connections to the CIA, exploded. All 73 people on board are killed.
- 1976New Premier Hua Guofeng orders the arrest of the Gang of Four and associates and ends the Cultural Revolution in the People’s Republic of China.
- 1976Massacre of students gathering at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand, to protest the return of ex-dictator Thanom, by a coalition of right-wing paramilitary and government forces, triggering the return of the military to government.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Erick’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)