The following events took place on October 7. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 3761 BCThe epoch reference date epoch (origin) of the modern Hebrew calendar (Proleptic Julian calendar).
- 1477Uppsala University is inaugurated after receiving its corporate rights from Pope Sixtus IV in February the same year.
- 1513Battle of La Motta: Spanish troops under Ramón de Cardona defeat the Venetians.
- 1542Explorer Cabrillo discovers Santa Catalina Island off of the California coast.
- 1571The Battle of Lepanto is fought, and the Holy League (Spain and Italy) annihilates the Turkish fleet.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day is skipped in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1691The English royal charter for the Province of Massachusetts Bay is issued.
- 1763King George III of the United Kingdom issues the Royal Proclamation of 1763, closing aboriginal lands in North America north and west of Alleghenies to white settlements.
- 1776Crown Prince Paul of Russia marries Sophie Marie Dorothea of Württemberg.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: The Americans defeat the British in the Second Battle of Saratoga, also known as the Battle of Bemis Heights.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: Battle of Kings Mountain: American Patriot militia defeat Loyalist irregulars led by British major Patrick Ferguson in South Carolina.
- 1800French corsair Robert Surcouf, commander of the 18-gun ship La Confiance, captures the British 38-gun Kent inspiring the traditional French song Le Trente-et-un du mois d'août.
- 1826The Granite Railway begins operations as the first chartered railway in the U.S.
- 1828Morea expedition: The city of Patras, Greece, is liberated by the French expeditionary force in the Peloponnese under General Maison.
- 1840Willem II becomes King of the Netherlands.
- 1862Royal Columbian Hospital (RCH) opens as the first hospital in the Canadian province of British Columbia
- 1864American Civil War: Bahia incident: USS Wachusett illegally captures the CSS Florida Confederate raider while in port in Bahia, Brazil in violation of Brazilian neutrality.
- 1868Cornell University holds opening day ceremonies; initial student enrollment is 412, the highest at any American university to that date.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: Siege of Paris: Léon Gambetta flees Paris in a hot-air balloon.
- 1879Germany and Austria-Hungary sign the “Twofold Covenant” and create the Dual Alliance.
- 1912The Helsinki Stock Exchange sees its first transaction.
- 1916Georgia Tech defeats Cumberland University 222–0 in the most lopsided college football game in American history.
- 1919KLM, the flag carrier of the Netherlands, is founded. It is the oldest airline still operating under its original name.
- 1924Andreas Michalakopoulos becomes Prime Minister of Greece for a short period of time.
- 1929Photios II becomes Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople.
- 1933Air France is inaugurated, after being formed by a merger of 5 French airlines.
- 1940World War II: The McCollum memo proposes bringing the United States into the war in Europe by provoking the Japanese to attack the United States.
- 1942World War II: The October Matanikau action on Guadalcanal begins as United States Marine Corps forces attack Imperial Japanese Army units along the Matanikau River.
- 1944World War II: During an uprising at Birkenau concentration camp, Jewish prisoners burn down the crematoria.
- 1949The communist German Democratic Republic (East Germany) is formed.
Curious about this Manila Bubbles? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!