The following events took place on September 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 62 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 462Possible start of first Byzantine indiction cycle.
- 717Siege of Constantinople: The Muslim armada with 1,800 ships, is defeated by the Byzantine navy through the use of Greek fire.
- 1270King Stephen V of Hungary writes his walk to the antiquum castellum near Miholjanec, where the Sword of Attila was recently discovered.
- 1355King Tvrtko I of Bosnia writes In castro nostro Vizoka vocatum from the Old town of Visoki.
- 1449Tumu Crisis: Mongols capture the Emperor of China.
- 1529The Spanish fort of Sancti Spiritu, the first one built in modern Argentina, is destroyed by natives.
- 1532Lady Anne Boleyn is made Marquess of Pembroke by her fiancé, King Henry VIII of England.
- 1604Adi Granth, now known as Guru Granth Sahib, the holy scripture of Sikhs, was first installed at Harmandir Sahib.
- 1644Battle of Tippermuir: James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose defeats the Earl of Wemyss’s Covenanters, reviving the Royalist cause.
- 1715King Louis XIV of France dies after a reign of 72 years—the longest of any major European monarch.
- 1763Catherine II of Russia endorses Ivan Betskoy’s plans for a Foundling Home in Moscow
- 1772The Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa is founded in San Luis Obispo, California.
- 1774Massachusetts Bay colonists rise up in the bloodless Powder Alarm.
- 1804Juno, one of the largest asteroids in the Main Belt, is discovered by the German astronomer Karl Ludwig Harding.
- 1831The high honor of Order of St. Gregory the Great is established by Pope Gregory XVI of the Vatican State to recognize high support for the Vatican or for the Pope, by a man or a woman, and not necessarily a Roman Catholic.
- 1836Narcissa Whitman, one of the first English-speaking white women to settle west of the Rocky Mountains, arrives at Walla Walla, Washington.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Chantilly: Confederate Army troops defeat a group of retreating Union Army troops in Chantilly, Virginia.
- 1864American Civil War: The Confederate Army General John Bell Hood orders the evacuation of Atlanta, ending a four-month siege by General William Tecumseh Sherman.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Battle of Sedan is fought, resulting in a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1873Cetshwayo ascends to the throne as king of the Zulu nation following the death of his father Mpande.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)