The following events took place on September 19. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 335Flavius Dalmatius is raised to the rank of Caesar by his uncle, emperor Constantine I.
- 634Siege of Damascus: The Rashidun Arabs under Khalid ibn al-Walid capture Damascus from the Byzantine Empire.
- 1356Battle of Poitiers: An English army under the command of Edward, the Black Prince defeats a French army and captures the French king, John II.
- 1676Jamestown is burned to the ground by the forces of Nathaniel Bacon during Bacon’s Rebellion.
- 1692Giles Corey is pressed to death after refusing to plead in the Salem witch trials.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: British forces win a tactically expensive victory over the Continental Army in the First Battle of Saratoga.
- 1778The Continental Congress passes the first United States federal budget.
- 1796George Washington’s Farewell Address is printed across America as an open letter to the public.
- 1799French Revolutionary Wars: French-Dutch victory against the Russians and British in the Battle of Bergen.
- 1846Two French shepherd children, Mélanie Calvat and Maximin Giraud, experience a Marian apparition on a mountaintop near La Salette, France, now known as Our Lady of La Salette.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Iuka: Union troops under General William Rosecrans defeat a Confederate force commanded by General Sterling Price.
- 1863American Civil War: The first day of the Battle of Chickamauga, in northwestern Georgia, the bloodiest two-day battle of the conflict, and the only significant Confederate victory in the war’s Western Theater.
- 1864American Civil War: Third Battle of Winchester: Union troops under General Philip Sheridan defeat a Confederate force commanded by General Jubal Early. With over 50,000 troops engaged it was the largest battle fought in the Shenandoah Valley and was not only militarily decisive in that region of Virginia but also played a role in securing Abraham Lincoln’s election in 1864.
- 1868Spanish revolution: La Gloriosa.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: The Siege of Paris begins, which will result on January 28, 1871 in the surrender of Paris and a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1870Having invaded the Papal States a week earlier, the Italian Army lays siege to Rome, entering the city the next day, after which the Pope described himself as a Prisoner in the Vatican.
- 1879The Blackpool Illuminations are switched on for the first time.
- 1881U.S. President James A. Garfield dies of wounds suffered in a July 2 shooting. Vice President Chester A. Arthur becomes President upon Garfield’s death.
- 1893Women’s suffrage: In New Zealand, the Electoral Act of 1893 is consented to by the governor giving all women in New Zealand the right to vote.
- 1916During the East African Campaign of World War I, colonial armed forces of the Belgian Congo (Force Publique) under the command of General Charles Tombeur captured the town of Tabora after heavy fighting.
- 1934Bruno Hauptmann is arrested for the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh, Jr.
- 1939World War II: The Battle of Kępa Oksywska concludes, with Polish losses reaching roughly 14% of all the forces engaged.
- 1940Witold Pilecki is voluntarily captured and sent to Auschwitz in order to smuggle out information and start a resistance.
- 1944Armistice between Finland and Soviet Union is signed. (End of the Continuation War).
- 1944Battle of Hürtgen Forest between United States and Nazi Germany begins.
- 1945Lord Haw-Haw (William Joyce) is sentenced to death in London.
- 1946The Council of Europe is founded following a speech by Winston Churchill at the University of Zurich.
- 1952The United States bars Charlie Chaplin from re-entering the country after a trip to England.
- 1957First American underground nuclear bomb test (part of Operation Plumbbob).
- 1959Nikita Khrushchev is barred from visiting Disneyland due to security concerns.
Curious about this Choco Oregano? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!