The following events took place on September 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 275In Rome, (after the assassination of Aurelian), the Senate proclaims Marcus Claudius Tacitus Emperor.
- 762Led by Muhammad al-Nafs al-Zakiyya, the Hasanid branch of the Alids begins the Alid Revolt against the Abbasid Caliphate.
- 1066The Battle of Stamford Bridge marks the end of the Viking invasions of England.
- 1237England and Scotland sign the Treaty of York, establishing the location of their common border.
- 1396Ottoman Emperor Bayezid I defeats a Christian army at the Battle of Nicopolis.
- 1513Spanish explorer Vasco Núñez de Balboa reaches what would become known as the Pacific Ocean.
- 1555The Peace of Augsburg is signed in Augsburg by Charles V and the princes of the Schmalkaldic League.
- 1690Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick, the first newspaper to appear in the Americas, is published for the first and only time.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: Ethan Allen surrenders to British forces after attempting to capture Montreal during the Battle of Longue-Pointe. Benedict Arnold and his expeditionary company set off from Fort Western, bound for Quebec City.
- 1789The United States Congress passes twelve amendments to the United States Constitution: The Congressional Apportionment Amendment (which was never ratified), the Congressional Compensation Amendment, and the ten that are known as the Bill of Rights.
- 1790Peking opera is born when the Four Great Anhui Troupes introduce Anhui opera to Beijing in honor of the Qianlong Emperor’s eightieth birthday.
- 1804The Teton Sioux (a subdivision of the Lakota) demand one of the boats from the Lewis and Clark Expedition as a toll for allowing the expedition to move further upriver.
- 1846U.S. forces led by Zachary Taylor capture the Mexican city of Monterrey.
- 1868The Imperial Russian steam frigate Alexander Nevsky is shipwrecked off Jutland while carrying Grand Duke Alexei of Russia.
- 1890The United States Congress establishes Sequoia National Park.
- 1906In the presence of the king and before a great crowd, Leonardo Torres y Quevedo successfully demonstrates the invention of the Telekino in the port of Bilbao, guiding a boat from the shore, in what is considered the birth of the remote control.
- 1911Ground is broken for Fenway Park in Boston
- 1911An explosion of badly degraded propellant charges on board the French battleship Liberté detonates the forward ammunition magazines and destroys the ship.
- 1912Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism is founded in New York City.
- 1915World War I: The Second Battle of Champagne begins.
- 1926The international Convention to Suppress the Slave Trade and Slavery is first signed.
- 1929Jimmy Doolittle performs the first blind flight from Mitchel Field proving that full instrument flying from take off to landing is possible.
- 1937Second Sino-Japanese War: The Chinese Eighth Route Army gains a minor, but morale-boosting victory in the Battle of Pingxingguan.
- 1942World War II: Swiss Police Instruction: This instruction denied entry into Switzerland to Jewish refugees.
- 1944World War II: Surviving elements of the British 1st Airborne Division withdraw from Arnhem in the Netherlands, thus ending the Battle of Arnhem and Operation Market Garden.
- 1955The Royal Jordanian Air Force is founded.
- 1956TAT-1, the first submarine transatlantic telephone cable system, is inaugurated.
- 1957Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, is integrated by the use of United States Army troops.
- 1959Solomon Bandaranaike, Prime Minister of Sri Lanka is mortally wounded by a Buddhist monk, Talduwe Somarama, and dies the next day.
- 1962The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria is formally proclaimed. Ferhat Abbas is elected President of the provisional government.
Curious about this Watermelon? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!