The following events took place on September 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 522 BCDarius I of Persia kills the Magian usurper Gaumata, securing his hold as king of the Persian Empire.
- 61 BCPompey the Great celebrates his third triumph for victories over the pirates and the end of the Mithridatic Wars on his 45th birthday.
- 1227Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, is excommunicated by Pope Gregory IX for his failure to participate in the Crusades.
- 1364Battle of Auray: English forces defeat the French in Brittany; end of the War of the Breton Succession.
- 1567At a dinner, Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, 3rd Duke of Alba arrests Lamoral, Count of Egmont and Philip de Montmorency, Count of Horn for treason.
- 1578Tegucigalpa, capital city of Honduras, is claimed by the Spaniards.
- 1650Henry Robinson opens his Office of Addresses and Encounters in Threadneedle Street, London.
- 1717An earthquake strikes Antigua Guatemala, destroying much of the city’s architecture and making authorities consider moving the capital to a different city.
- 1789The United States Department of War first establishes a regular army with a strength of several hundred men.
- 1789The 1st United States Congress adjourns.
- 1829The Metropolitan Police of London, later also known as the Met, is founded.
- 1848Battle of Pákozd: Stalemate between Hungarian and Croatian forces at Pákozd; the first battle of the Hungarian Revolution of 1848.
- 1850The papal bull Universalis Ecclesiae restores the Roman Catholic hierarchy in England and Wales.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Chaffin’s Farm is fought.
- 1885The first practical public electric tramway in the world is opened in Blackpool, England.
- 1907The cornerstone is laid at Washington National Cathedral in the U.S. capital.
- 1911Italy declares war on the Ottoman Empire.
- 1918World War I: Battle of St. Quentin Canal: The Hindenburg Line is broken by Allied forces. Bulgaria signs an armistice.
- 1923The British Mandate for Palestine takes effect, creating Mandatory Palestine.
- 1932Chaco War: Last day of the Battle of Boquerón between Paraguay and Bolivia.
- 1938The Munich Agreement between Germany, the United Kingdom, France and Italy settles the Sudetenland dispute in Germany’s favor. The Soviet Union and Czechoslovakia are not invited.
- 1940Two Avro Ansons of No. 2 Service Flying Training School RAAF collide in mid-air over Brocklesby, New South Wales, Australia, remain locked together after colliding, and then land safely.
- 1941World War II: Holocaust in Kiev, Soviet Union: German Einsatzgruppe C begins the Babi Yar massacre, according to the Einsatzgruppen operational situation report.
- 1949The Communist Party of China writes the Common Programme for the future People’s Republic of China.
- 1950The United Nations Security Council Resolution 87 relating to Taiwan is adopted.
- 1951The first live sporting event seen coast-to-coast in the United States, a college football game between Duke and the University of Pittsburgh, is televised on NBC.
- 1954The convention establishing CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research) is signed.
- 1957Twenty MCi (740 petabecquerels) of radioactive material is released in an explosion at the Soviet Mayak nuclear plant at Chelyabinsk.
- 1960Nikita Khrushchev, leader of Soviet Union, disrupts a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly with a number of angry outbursts.
- 1962Alouette 1, the first Canadian satellite, is launched.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!