The following events took place on April 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 491Flavius Anastasius becomes Byzantine emperor, with the name of Anastasius I.
- 1079Bishop Stanislaus of Kraków is executed by order of Bolesław II of Poland.
- 1241Batu Khan defeats Béla IV of Hungary at the Battle of Mohi.
- 1512War of the League of Cambrai: French forces led by Gaston de Foix win the Battle of Ravenna.
- 1544French forces defeat a Spanish army at the Battle of Ceresole.
- 1689William III and Mary II are crowned as joint sovereigns of Great Britain.
- 1713War of the Spanish Succession (Queen Anne’s War): Treaty of Utrecht.
- 1727Premiere of Johann Sebastian Bach’s St Matthew Passion BWV 244b at the St. Thomas Church, Leipzig
- 1809Battle of the Basque Roads Naval battle fought between France and the United Kingdom
- 1814The Treaty of Fontainebleau ends the War of the Sixth Coalition against Napoleon Bonaparte, and forces him to abdicate unconditionally for the first time.
- 1856Battle of Rivas: Juan Santamaría burns down the hostel where William Walker’s filibusters are holed up.
- 1868Former Shogun Tokugawa Yoshinobu surrenders Edo Castle to Imperial forces, marking the end of the Tokugawa shogunate.
- 1876The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks is organized.
- 1881Spelman College is founded in Atlanta, Georgia as the Atlanta Baptist Female Seminary, an institute of higher education for African-American women.
- 1888The Concertgebouw in Amsterdam is inaugurated.
- 1908SMS Blücher, the last armored cruiser to be built by the Imperial German Navy, launches.
- 1909The city of Tel Aviv is founded.
- 1913The Nevill Ground’s pavilion is destroyed in a suffragette arson attack becoming the only cricket ground to be attacked by suffragettes.
- 1919The International Labour Organization is founded.
- 1921Emir Abdullah establishes the first centralised government in the newly created British protectorate of Transjordan.
- 1945World War II: American forces liberate the Buchenwald concentration camp.
- 1951Korean War: President Harry Truman relieves General of the Army Douglas MacArthur of overall command in Korea.
- 1951The Stone of Scone, the stone upon which Scottish monarchs were traditionally crowned, is found on the site of the altar of Arbroath Abbey. It had been taken by Scottish nationalist students from its place in Westminster Abbey.
- 1952The Battle of Nanri Island takes place.
- 1955The Air India Kashmir Princess is bombed and crashes in a failed assassination attempt on Zhou Enlai by the Kuomintang.
- 1957United Kingdom agrees to Singaporean self-rule.
- 1961The trial of Adolf Eichmann begins in Jerusalem.
- 1963Pope John XXIII issues Pacem in terris, the first encyclical addressed to all instead of to Catholics alone.
- 1965The Palm Sunday tornado outbreak of 1965: Fifty-one tornadoes hit in six Midwestern states, killing 256 people.
- 1968President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1968, prohibiting discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of housing.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!