The following events took place on August 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 30 BCOctavian (later known as Augustus) enters Alexandria, Egypt, bringing it under the control of the Roman Republic.
- 69Batavian rebellion: The Batavians in Germania Inferior (Netherlands) revolt under the leadership of Gaius Julius Civilis.
- 527Justinian I becomes the sole ruler of the Byzantine Empire.
- 607Ono no Imoko is dispatched as envoy to the Sui court in China (Traditional Japanese date: July 3, 607).
- 902Taormina, the last Byzantine stronghold in Sicily, is captured by the Aghlabids army, concluding the Muslim conquest of Sicily.
- 1203Isaac II Angelos, restored Eastern Roman Emperor, declares his son Alexios IV Angelos co-emperor after pressure from the forces of the Fourth Crusade.
- 1291The Old Swiss Confederacy is formed with the signature of the Federal Charter.
- 1469Louis XI of France founds the chivalric order called the Order of Saint Michael in Amboise.
- 1498Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to visit what is now Venezuela.
- 1620The Speedwell leaves Delfshaven to bring pilgrims to America by way of England.
- 1664Ottoman forces are defeated in the battle of Saint Gotthard by an Austrian army led by Raimondo Montecuccoli, resulting in the Peace of Vasvár.
- 1714George, Elector of Hanover, becomes King George I of Great Britain, marking the beginning of the Georgian era of British history.
- 1715The Riot Act comes into force in England.
- 1759Seven Years’ War: The Battle of Minden, an allied Anglo-German army victory over the French. In Britain this was one of a number of events that constituted the Annus Mirabilis of 1759 and is celebrated as Minden Day by certain British Army regiments.
- 1774British scientist Joseph Priestley discovers oxygen gas, corroborating the prior discovery of this element by German-Swedish chemist Carl Wilhelm Scheele.
- 1798French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of the Nile (Battle of Aboukir Bay): Battle begins when a British fleet engages the French Revolutionary Navy fleet in an unusual night action.
- 1800The Acts of Union 1800 is passed in which merges the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland into the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1801First Barbary War: The American schooner USS Enterprise captures the Tripolitan polacca Tripoli in a single-ship action off the coast of modern-day Libya.
- 1831A new London Bridge opens.
- 1834Slavery is abolished in the British Empire as the Slavery Abolition Act 1833 comes into force.
- 1838Non-laborer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
- 1840Laborer slaves in most of the British Empire are emancipated.
- 1842The Lombard Street riot erupts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States.
- 1855The first ascent of Monte Rosa, the second highest summit in the Alps.
- 1876Colorado is admitted as the 38th U.S. state.
- 1894The First Sino-Japanese War erupts between Japan and China over Korea.
- 1907The start of the first Scout camp on Brownsea Island, the origin of the worldwide Scouting movement.
- 1911Harriet Quimby takes her pilot’s test and becomes the first U.S. woman to earn an Aero Club of America aviator’s certificate.
- 1914The German Empire declares war on the Russian Empire at the opening of World War I. The Swiss Army mobilizes because of World War I.
- 1927The Nanchang Uprising marks the first significant battle in the Chinese Civil War between the Kuomintang and Chinese Communist Party. This day is commemorated as the anniversary of the founding of the People’s Liberation Army.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!