The following events took place on August 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 36 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1071Battle of Manzikert: The Seljuq Turks defeat the Byzantine army at Manzikert.
- 1278Ladislaus IV of Hungary and Rudolf I of Germany defeat Ottokar II of Bohemia in the Battle on the Marchfeld near Dürnkrut in (then) Moravia.
- 1303Alauddin Khilji captures Chittorgarh.
- 1346Hundred Years’ War: The military supremacy of the English longbow over the French combination of crossbow and armoured knights is established at the Battle of Crécy.
- 1444Battle of St. Jakob an der Birs: A vastly outnumbered force of Swiss Confederates is defeated by the Dauphin Louis (future Louis XI of France) and his army of ‘Armagnacs’near Basel.
- 1466A conspiracy against Piero di Cosimo de' Medici in Florence, led by Luca Pitti, is discovered.
- 1498Michelangelo is commissioned to carve the Pietà.
- 1748The first Lutheran denomination in North America, the Pennsylvania Ministerium, is founded in Philadelphia.
- 1768Captain James Cook sets sail from England on board HMS Endeavour.
- 1778The first recorded ascent of Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia.
- 1789The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen is approved by the National Constituent Assembly of France.
- 1791John Fitch is granted a United States patent for the steamboat.
- 1810The former viceroy Santiago de Liniers of the Viceroyalty of the Río de la Plata is executed after the defeat of his counter-revolution.
- 1813War of the Sixth Coalition: An impromptu battle takes place when French and Prussian-Russian forces accidentally run into each other near Liegnitz, Prussia (now Legnica, Poland).
- 1814Chilean War of Independence: Infighting between the rebel forces of José Miguel Carrera and Bernardo O'Higgins erupts in the Battle of Las Tres Acequias.
- 1821The University of Buenos Aires, Argentina, is officially opened.
- 1883The 1883 eruption of Krakatoa begins its final, paroxysmal, stage.
- 1914World War I: The German colony of Togoland surrenders to French and British forces after a 20 day campaign.
- 1914In Brazil, Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras is founded.
- 1914World War I: During the retreat from Mons, the British II Corps commanded by General Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien fought a vigorous and successful defensive action at Le Cateau.
- 1920The 19th amendment to United States Constitution takes effect, giving women the right to vote.
- 1940Chad becomes the first French colony to join the Allies under the administration of Félix Éboué, France’s first black colonial governor.
- 1942The Holocaust in Chortkiav, western Ukraine: At 2.30 am the German Schutzpolizei starts driving Jews out of their houses, divides them into groups of 120, packs them in freight cars and deports 2000 to Bełżec extermination camp. Five hundred of the sick and children are murdered on the spot.
- 1944World War II: Charles de Gaulle enters Paris.
- 1966The Namibian War of Independence starts with the battle at Omugulugwombashe.
- 1970The then-new feminist movement, led by Betty Friedan, leads a nationwide Women’s Strike for Equality.
- 1977The Charter of the French Language is adopted by the National Assembly of Quebec
- 1978Papal conclave: Albino Luciani is elected as Pope John Paul I.
- 1978Sigmund Jähn becomes first German cosmonaut, on board Soyuz 31.
- 1980John Birges plants a bomb at Harvey’s Resort Hotel in Stateline, Nevada, US.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Traci’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)