The following events took place on December 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 220Cao Pi forces Emperor Xian of Han to abdicate the Han dynasty throne. The Cao Wei empire is established. The Three Kingdoms period begins.
- 361Julian the Apostate enters Constantinople as sole Emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 630Muhammad leads an army of 10,000 to conquer Mecca.
- 969Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas is assassinated by his wife Theophano and her lover, the later Emperor John I Tzimiskes.
- 1282Battle of Orewin Bridge: Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, the last native Prince of Wales, is killed at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, in mid-Wales.
- 1602A surprise attack by forces under the command of Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy, and his brother-in-law, Philip III of Spain, is repelled by the citizens of Geneva. (Commemorated annually by the Fête de l'Escalade.)
- 1688Glorious Revolution: James II of England, while trying to flee to France, allegedly throws the Great Seal of the Realm into the River Thames.
- 1789The University of North Carolina is chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly.
- 1792French Revolution: King Louis XVI of France is put on trial for treason by the National Convention.
- 1815The U.S. Senate creates a select committee on finance and a uniform national currency, predecessor of the United States Senate Committee on Finance.
- 1816Indiana becomes the 19th U.S. state.
- 1868Paraguayan War: Brazilian troops defeat Paraguayan at the Battle of Avay.
- 1905A workers’ uprising occurs in Kiev, Ukraine (then part of the Russian Empire), and establishes the Shuliavka Republic.
- 1907The New Zealand Parliament Buildings are almost completely destroyed by fire.
- 1917World War I: British General Edmund Allenby enters Jerusalem on foot and declares martial law.
- 1920Irish War of Independence: In retaliation for an IRA ambush, British forces burn and loot numerous buildings in Cork city. Many civilians also reported being beaten, shot at, robbed and verbally abused by British forces.
- 1925Roman Catholic papal encyclical Quas primas introduces the Feast of Christ the King.
- 1927Guangzhou Uprising: Communist Red Guards launch an uprising in Guangzhou, China, taking over most of the city and announcing the formation of a Guangzhou Soviet.
- 1931Statute of Westminster 1931: The British Parliament establishes legislative equality between the UK and the Dominions of the Commonwealth—Australia, Canada, Newfoundland, New Zealand, South Africa, and Ireland.
- 1934Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, takes his last drink and enters treatment for the last time.
- 1936Abdication Crisis: Edward VIII’s abdication as King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions beyond the Seas, and Emperor of India, becomes effective.
- 1937Second Italo-Ethiopian War: Italy leaves the League of Nations.
- 1941World War II: Germany and Italy declare war on the United States, following the Americans’ declaration of war on the Empire of Japan in the wake of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The United States, in turn, declares war on them.
- 1941World War II: Poland declares war on the Empire of Japan.
- 1946The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is established.
- 19481948 Arab–Israeli War: The United Nations passes General Assembly Resolution 194, creating a Conciliation Commission to mediate the conflict.
- 1958French Upper Volta and French Dahomey gain self-government from France, becoming the Republic of Upper Volta and the Republic of Dahomey (now Benin), respectively, and joining the French Community.
- 1960French forces crack down in a violent clash with protesters in French Algeria during a visit by French President Charles de Gaulle.
- 1962Arthur Lucas, convicted of murder, is the last person to be executed in Canada.
- 1964Che Guevara speaks at the United Nations General Assembly in New York City.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)