The following events took place on December 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 220Cao Pi forces Emperor Xian of Han to abdicate the Han dynasty throne. The Cao Wei empire is established. The Three Kingdoms period begins.
- 361Julian the Apostate enters Constantinople as sole Emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 630Muhammad leads an army of 10,000 to conquer Mecca.
- 969Byzantine Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas is assassinated by his wife Theophano and her lover, the later Emperor John I Tzimiskes.
- 1282Battle of Orewin Bridge: Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, the last native Prince of Wales, is killed at Cilmeri, near Builth Wells, in mid-Wales.
- 1602A surprise attack by forces under the command of Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy, and his brother-in-law, Philip III of Spain, is repelled by the citizens of Geneva. (Commemorated annually by the Fête de l'Escalade.)
- 1688Glorious Revolution: James II of England, while trying to flee to France, allegedly throws the Great Seal of the Realm into the River Thames.
- 1789The University of North Carolina is chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly.
- 1792French Revolution: King Louis XVI of France is put on trial for treason by the National Convention.
- 1815The U.S. Senate creates a select committee on finance and a uniform national currency, predecessor of the United States Senate Committee on Finance.
- 1816Indiana becomes the 19th U.S. state.
- 1868Paraguayan War: Brazilian troops defeat Paraguayan at the Battle of Avay.
- 1905A workers’ uprising occurs in Kiev, Ukraine (then part of the Russian Empire), and establishes the Shuliavka Republic.
- 1907The New Zealand Parliament Buildings are almost completely destroyed by fire.
- 1917World War I: British General Edmund Allenby enters Jerusalem on foot and declares martial law.
- 1920Irish War of Independence: In retaliation for an IRA ambush, British forces burn and loot numerous buildings in Cork city. Many civilians also reported being beaten, shot at, robbed and verbally abused by British forces.
- 1925Roman Catholic papal encyclical Quas primas introduces the Feast of Christ the King.
- 1927Guangzhou Uprising: Communist Red Guards launch an uprising in Guangzhou, China, taking over most of the city and announcing the formation of a Guangzhou Soviet.
- 1931Statute of Westminster 1931: The British Parliament establishes legislative equality between the UK and the Dominions of the Commonwealth—Australia, Canada, Newfoundland, New Zealand, South Africa, and Ireland.
- 1934Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous, takes his last drink and enters treatment for the last time.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)