The following events took place on February 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 34 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1258Baghdad falls to the Mongols, and the Abbasid Caliphate is destroyed.
- 1306In front of the high altar of Greyfriars Church in Dumfries, Robert the Bruce murders John Comyn sparking revolution in the Wars of Scottish Independence
- 1355The St Scholastica Day riot breaks out in Oxford, England, leaving 63 scholars and perhaps 30 locals dead in two days.
- 1567Lord Darnley, second husband of Mary, Queen of Scots, is found strangled following an explosion at the Kirk o' Field house in Edinburgh, Scotland, a suspected assassination.
- 1763French and Indian War: The Treaty of Paris ends the war and France cedes Quebec to Great Britain.
- 1814Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Champaubert ends in French victory over the Russians and the Prussians.
- 1840Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom marries Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
- 1846First Anglo-Sikh War: Battle of Sobraon – British defeat Sikhs in final battle of the war
- 1861Jefferson Davis is notified by telegraph that he has been chosen as provisional President of the Confederate States of America.
- 1862American Civil War: A Union naval flotilla destroys the bulk of the Confederate Mosquito Fleet in the Battle of Elizabeth City on the Pasquotank River in North Carolina.
- 1870The YWCA is founded in New York City.
- 1906HMS Dreadnought, the first of a revolutionary new breed of battleships is christened and launched by King Edward VII.
- 1920Józef Haller de Hallenburg performs symbolic wedding of Poland to the sea, celebrating restitution of Polish access to open sea.
- 1923Texas Tech University is founded as Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas
- 1930Yên Bái mutiny in French Indochina
- 1933In round 13 of a boxing match at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, Primo Carnera knocks out Ernie Schaaf. Schaaf dies four days later.
- 1936Second Italo-Abyssinian War: Italian troops launched the Battle of Amba Aradam against Ethiopian defenders.
- 1939Spanish Civil War: The Nationalists conclude their conquest of Catalonia and seal the border with France.
- 1940The Soviet Union begins mass deportations of Polish citizens from occupied eastern Poland to Siberia.
- 1942The first gold record is presented to Glenn Miller for “Chattanooga Choo Choo”.
- 1943World War II: Attempting to completely lift the Siege of Leningrad, the Soviet Red Army engages German troops and Spanish volunteers in the Battle of Krasny Bor.
- 1947Italy cedes most of Venezia Giulia to Yugoslavia.
- 1954United States President Dwight Eisenhower warns against United States intervention in Vietnam.
- 1962Captured American U2 spy-plane pilot Gary Powers is exchanged for captured Soviet spy Rudolf Abel.
- 1962Roy Lichtenstein’s first solo exhibition opened, and it included Look Mickey, which featured his first employment of Ben-Day dots, speech balloons and comic imagery sourcing, all of which he is now known for.
- 1964Melbourne–Voyager collision: The aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne collides with and sinks the destroyer HMAS Voyager off the south coast of New South Wales, Australia, killing 82.
- 1967The 25th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified.
- 1981A fire at the Las Vegas Hilton hotel–casino kills eight and injures 198.
- 1989Ron Brown is elected chairman of the Democratic National Committee becoming the first African American to lead a major American political party.
- 1996The IBM supercomputer Deep Blue defeats Garry Kasparov in chess for the first time.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Karla’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)