The following events took place on February 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 34 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1258Baghdad falls to the Mongols, and the Abbasid Caliphate is destroyed.
- 1306In front of the high altar of Greyfriars Church in Dumfries, Robert the Bruce murders John Comyn sparking revolution in the Wars of Scottish Independence
- 1355The St Scholastica Day riot breaks out in Oxford, England, leaving 63 scholars and perhaps 30 locals dead in two days.
- 1567Lord Darnley, second husband of Mary, Queen of Scots, is found strangled following an explosion at the Kirk o' Field house in Edinburgh, Scotland, a suspected assassination.
- 1763French and Indian War: The Treaty of Paris ends the war and France cedes Quebec to Great Britain.
- 1814Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Champaubert ends in French victory over the Russians and the Prussians.
- 1840Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom marries Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.
- 1846First Anglo-Sikh War: Battle of Sobraon – British defeat Sikhs in final battle of the war
- 1861Jefferson Davis is notified by telegraph that he has been chosen as provisional President of the Confederate States of America.
- 1862American Civil War: A Union naval flotilla destroys the bulk of the Confederate Mosquito Fleet in the Battle of Elizabeth City on the Pasquotank River in North Carolina.
- 1870The YWCA is founded in New York City.
- 1906HMS Dreadnought, the first of a revolutionary new breed of battleships is christened and launched by King Edward VII.
- 1920Józef Haller de Hallenburg performs symbolic wedding of Poland to the sea, celebrating restitution of Polish access to open sea.
- 1923Texas Tech University is founded as Texas Technological College in Lubbock, Texas
- 1930Yên Bái mutiny in French Indochina
- 1933In round 13 of a boxing match at New York City’s Madison Square Garden, Primo Carnera knocks out Ernie Schaaf. Schaaf dies four days later.
- 1936Second Italo-Abyssinian War: Italian troops launched the Battle of Amba Aradam against Ethiopian defenders.
- 1939Spanish Civil War: The Nationalists conclude their conquest of Catalonia and seal the border with France.
- 1940The Soviet Union begins mass deportations of Polish citizens from occupied eastern Poland to Siberia.
- 1942The first gold record is presented to Glenn Miller for “Chattanooga Choo Choo”.
- 1943World War II: Attempting to completely lift the Siege of Leningrad, the Soviet Red Army engages German troops and Spanish volunteers in the Battle of Krasny Bor.
- 1947Italy cedes most of Venezia Giulia to Yugoslavia.
- 1954United States President Dwight Eisenhower warns against United States intervention in Vietnam.
- 1962Captured American U2 spy-plane pilot Gary Powers is exchanged for captured Soviet spy Rudolf Abel.
- 1962Roy Lichtenstein’s first solo exhibition opened, and it included Look Mickey, which featured his first employment of Ben-Day dots, speech balloons and comic imagery sourcing, all of which he is now known for.
- 1964Melbourne–Voyager collision: The aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne collides with and sinks the destroyer HMAS Voyager off the south coast of New South Wales, Australia, killing 82.
- 1967The 25th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified.
- 1981A fire at the Las Vegas Hilton hotel–casino kills eight and injures 198.
- 1989Ron Brown is elected chairman of the Democratic National Committee becoming the first African American to lead a major American political party.
- 1996The IBM supercomputer Deep Blue defeats Garry Kasparov in chess for the first time.
Curious about this Green Bubble Heart? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!