The following events took place on February 28. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 202 BCcoronation ceremony of Liu Bang as Emperor Gaozu of Han takes place, initiating four centuries of the Han dynasty’s rule over China.
- 628Khosrau II is executed by Mihr Hormozd under the orders of Kavadh II.
- 870The Fourth Council of Constantinople closes.
- 1246The Siege of Jaén ends in the context of the Spanish Reconquista resulting in the Castilian takeover of the city from the Taifa of Jaen.
- 1525The Aztec king Cuauhtémoc is executed by Hernán Cortés’s forces.
- 1638The Scottish National Covenant is signed in Edinburgh.
- 1700Today is followed by March 1 in Sweden, thus creating the Swedish calendar.
- 1710In the Battle of Helsingborg, 14,000 Danish invaders under Jørgen Rantzau are decisively defeated by an equally sized Swedish force under Magnus Stenbock. This is the last time Swedish and Danish troops meet on Swedish soil.
- 1784John Wesley charters the Methodist Church.
- 1811Cry of Asencio, beginning of the Uruguayan War of Independence
- 1827The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad is incorporated, becoming the first railroad in America offering commercial transportation of both people and freight.
- 1838Robert Nelson, leader of the Patriotes, proclaims the independence of Lower Canada (today Quebec)
- 1844A gun on USS Princeton explodes while the boat is on a Potomac River cruise, killing eight people, including two United States Cabinet members.
- 1847The Battle of the Sacramento River during the Mexican–American War is a decisive victory for the United States leading to the capture of Chihuahua.
- 1849Regular steamboat service from the west to the east coast of the United States begins with the arrival of the SS California in San Francisco Bay, four months 22 days after leaving New York Harbor.
- 1867Seventy years of Holy See–United States relations are ended by a Congressional ban on federal funding of diplomatic envoys to the Vatican and are not restored until January 10, 1984.
- 1870The Bulgarian Exarchate is established by decree of Sultan Abd-ul-Aziz of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1874One of the longest cases ever heard in an English court ends when the defendant is convicted of perjury for attempting to assume the identity of the heir to the Tichborne baronetcy.
- 1883The first vaudeville theater opens in Boston
- 1885The American Telephone and Telegraph Company is incorporated in New York as the subsidiary of American Bell Telephone. (American Bell would later merge with its subsidiary.)
- 1893The USS Indiana, the lead ship of her class and the first battleship in the United States Navy comparable to foreign battleships of the time, is launched.
- 1897Queen Ranavalona III, the last monarch of Madagascar, is deposed by a French military force.
- 1900The Second Boer War: The 118-day “Siege of Ladysmith” is lifted.
- 1914The Autonomous Republic of Northern Epirus is proclaimed in Gjirokastër, by the Greeks living in southern Albania.
- 1922The United Kingdom ends its protectorate over Egypt through a Unilateral Declaration of Independence.
- 1925The Charlevoix-Kamouraska earthquake strikes northeastern North America.
- 1928C. V. Raman discovers Raman scattering.
- 1933Gleichschaltung: The Reichstag Fire Decree is passed in Germany a day after the Reichstag fire.
- 1935DuPont scientist Wallace Carothers invents nylon.
- 1939The erroneous word “dord” is discovered in the Webster’s New International Dictionary, Second Edition, prompting an investigation.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Russell’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)