The following events took place on February 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 421Constantius III becomes co-Emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- 1238The Mongols burn the Russian city of Vladimir.
- 1250Seventh Crusade: Crusaders engage Ayyubid forces in the Battle of Al Mansurah.
- 1347The Byzantine civil war of 1341–47 ends with a power-sharing agreement between John VI Kantakouzenos and John V Palaiologos.
- 1575Leiden University is founded, and given the motto Praesidium Libertatis.
- 1587Mary, Queen of Scots, is executed on suspicion of having been involved in the Babington Plot to murder her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- 1601Robert Devereux, 2nd Earl of Essex, rebels against Queen Elizabeth I – the revolt is quickly crushed.
- 1693The College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia is granted a charter by King William III and Queen Mary II.
- 1726The Supreme Privy Council is established in Russia.
- 1807Battle of Eylau – Napoleon defeats Russians under General Bennigsen and the Prussians under L'Estocq
- 1817Las Heras crosses the Andes with an army to join San Martín and liberate Chile from Spain.
- 1837Richard Johnson becomes the first Vice President of the United States chosen by the United States Senate.
- 1855The Devil’s Footprints mysteriously appear in southern Devon.
- 1856Barbu Dimitrie Știrbei abolishes slavery in Wallachia.
- 1865In the United States, Delaware voters reject the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and vote to continue the practice of slavery. (Delaware finally ratifies the amendment on February 12, 1901.)
- 1879Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- 1879The England cricket team led by Lord Harris is attacked during a riot during a match in Sydney.
- 1885The first government-approved Japanese immigrants arrived in Hawaii.
- 1887The Dawes Act authorizes the President of the United States to survey Native American tribal land and divide it into individual allotments.
- 1904Battle of Port Arthur: A surprise torpedo attack by the Japanese at Port Arthur, China starts the Russo-Japanese War.
- 1910The Boy Scouts of America is incorporated by William D. Boyce.
- 1915D. W. Griffith’s controversial film The Birth of a Nation premieres in Los Angeles.
- 1922United States President Warren G. Harding introduces the first radio set in the White House.
- 1924Capital punishment: The first state execution in the United States by gas chamber takes place in Nevada.
- 1942World War II: Japan invades Singapore.
- 1945World War II: The United Kingdom and Canada commence Operation Veritable to occupy the west bank of the Rhine.
- 1946The first portion of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, the first serious challenge to the popularity of the Authorized King James Version, is published.
- 1948The formal creation of the Korean People’s Army of North Korea is announced.
- 1949Cardinal Mindszenty of Hungary is sentenced for treason.
- 1950The Stasi, the secret police of East Germany, is established.
Curious about this Unreal Green Sprinkle? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!