The following events took place on January 16. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 27 BCGaius Julius Caesar Octavianus is granted the title Augustus by the Roman Senate, marking the beginning of the Roman Empire.
- 378General Siyaj K‘ak’conquers Tikal, enlarging the domain of King Spearthrower Owl of Teotihuacán.
- 550Gothic War: The Ostrogoths, under King Totila, conquer Rome after a long siege, by bribing the Isaurian garrison.
- 750The army of Abdallah ibn Ali and Abu Awn Abd al-Malik ibn Yazid defeats that of Marwan II in the Battle of the Zab, bringing the Abbasid Revolution to completion.
- 929Emir Abd-ar-Rahman III established the Caliphate of Córdoba.
- 1120The Council of Nablus is held, establishing the earliest surviving written laws of the Crusader Kingdom of Jerusalem.
- 1362A storm tide in the North Sea destroys the German city of Rungholt on the island of Strand.
- 1412The Medici family is appointed official banker of the Papacy.
- 1492The first grammar of the Spanish language is presented to Queen Isabella I.
- 1547Ivan IV of Russia a.k.a. Ivan the Terrible becomes Czar of Russia.
- 1556Philip II becomes King of Spain.
- 1572Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk is tried for treason for his part in the Ridolfi plot to restore Catholicism in England.
- 1581The English Parliament outlaws Roman Catholicism.
- 1605The first edition of El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha (Book One of Don Quixote) by Miguel de Cervantes is published in Madrid, Spain.
- 1707The Scottish Parliament ratifies the Act of Union, paving the way for the creation of Great Britain.
- 1761The British capture Pondichéry, India from the French.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cape St. Vincent.
- 1786Virginia enacted the Statute for Religious Freedom authored by Thomas Jefferson.
- 1809Peninsular War: The British defeat the French at the Battle of La Coruña.
- 1847John C. Frémont is appointed Governor of the new California Territory.
- 1862Hartley Colliery Disaster: Two hundred four men and boys killed in a mining disaster, prompted a change in UK law which henceforth required all collieries to have at least two independent means of escape.
- 1878Russo-Turkish War (1877–78): Battle of Philippopolis: Captain Aleksandr Burago with a squadron of Russian Imperial army dragoons liberates Plovdiv from Ottoman rule.
- 1883The Pendleton Civil Service Reform Act, establishing the United States Civil Service, is passed.
- 1896Defeat of Cymru Fydd at South Wales Liberal Federation AGM, Newport, Monmouthshire.
- 1900The United States Senate accepts the Anglo-German treaty of 1899 in which the United Kingdom renounces its claims to the Samoan islands.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton’s expedition finds the magnetic South Pole.
- 1919Temperance movement: The United States ratifies the Eighteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, authorizing Prohibition in the United States one year after ratification.
- 1920Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated was founded on the campus of Howard University.
- 1920The League of Nations holds its first council meeting in Paris, France.
- 1921The Marxist Left in Slovakia and the Transcarpathian Ukraine holds its founding congress in Ľubochňa.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)