The following events took place on January 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 250Emperor Decius begins a widespread persecution of Christians in Rome. Pope Fabian is martyred.
- 649King Chindasuinth, at the urging of bishop Braulio of Zaragoza, crowns his son Recceswinth as co-ruler of the Visigothic Kingdom.
- 1265The first English parliament to include not only Lords but also representatives of the major towns holds its first meeting in the Palace of Westminster, now commonly known as the “Houses of Parliament”.
- 1320Duke Wladyslaw Lokietek becomes king of Poland.
- 1356Edward Balliol abdicates as King of Scotland.
- 1523Christian II is forced to abdicate as King of Denmark and Norway.
- 1567Battle of Rio de Janeiro: Portuguese forces under the command of Estácio de Sá definitively drive the French out of Rio de Janeiro.
- 1576The Mexican city of León is founded by order of the viceroy Don Martín Enríquez de Almanza.
- 1649Charles I of England goes on trial for treason and other “high crimes”.
- 1783The Kingdom of Great Britain signs a peace treaty with France and Spain, officially ending hostilities in the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence).
- 1785Invading Siamese forces attempt to exploit the political chaos in Vietnam, but are ambushed and annihilated at the Mekong river by the Tây Sơn in the Battle of Rạch Gầm-Xoài Mút.
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1839In the Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats an alliance between Peru and Bolivia.
- 1841Hong Kong Island is occupied by the British.
- 1877Last day of the Constantinople Conference which resulted in agreement for political reforms in the Balkans.
- 1887The United States Senate allows the Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1921The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- 1929In Old Arizona, the first full-length talking motion picture filmed outdoors, is released.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- 1941A German officer is murdered in Bucharest, Romania, sparking a rebellion and pogrom by the Iron Guard, killing 125 Jews and 30 soldiers.
- 1942World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish question”.
- 1945World War II: The Miklós provisional government of Hungary agrees to an armistice with the Allies.
- 1945World War II: Germany begins the evacuation of 1.8 million people from East Prussia, a task which will take nearly two months.
- 1949Point Four Program a program for economic aid to poor countries announced by United States President Harry S. Truman in his inaugural address for a full term as President.
- 1954In the United States, the National Negro Network is established with 40 charter member radio stations.
- 1959The first flight of the Vickers Vanguard.
- 1960Hendrik Verwoerd announces a plebiscite on whether South Africa should become a Republic.
- 1969East Pakistani police kill student activist Amanullah Asaduzzaman. The resulting outrage is in part responsible for the Bangladesh Liberation War.
- 1972Pakistan launched its Nuclear weapons program few weeks after its defeat in Bangladesh Liberation War and Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!