The following events took place on January 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 250Emperor Decius begins a widespread persecution of Christians in Rome. Pope Fabian is martyred.
- 649King Chindasuinth, at the urging of bishop Braulio of Zaragoza, crowns his son Recceswinth as co-ruler of the Visigothic Kingdom.
- 1265The first English parliament to include not only Lords but also representatives of the major towns holds its first meeting in the Palace of Westminster, now commonly known as the “Houses of Parliament”.
- 1320Duke Wladyslaw Lokietek becomes king of Poland.
- 1356Edward Balliol abdicates as King of Scotland.
- 1523Christian II is forced to abdicate as King of Denmark and Norway.
- 1567Battle of Rio de Janeiro: Portuguese forces under the command of Estácio de Sá definitively drive the French out of Rio de Janeiro.
- 1576The Mexican city of León is founded by order of the viceroy Don Martín Enríquez de Almanza.
- 1649Charles I of England goes on trial for treason and other “high crimes”.
- 1783The Kingdom of Great Britain signs a peace treaty with France and Spain, officially ending hostilities in the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence).
- 1785Invading Siamese forces attempt to exploit the political chaos in Vietnam, but are ambushed and annihilated at the Mekong river by the Tây Sơn in the Battle of Rạch Gầm-Xoài Mút.
- 1788The third and main part of First Fleet arrives at Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip decides that Botany Bay is unsuitable for the location of a penal colony, and decides to move to Port Jackson.
- 1839In the Battle of Yungay, Chile defeats an alliance between Peru and Bolivia.
- 1841Hong Kong Island is occupied by the British.
- 1877Last day of the Constantinople Conference which resulted in agreement for political reforms in the Balkans.
- 1887The United States Senate allows the Navy to lease Pearl Harbor as a naval base.
- 1920The American Civil Liberties Union is founded.
- 1921The first Constitution of Turkey is adopted, making fundamental changes in the source and exercise of sovereignty by consecrating the principle of national sovereignty.
- 1929In Old Arizona, the first full-length talking motion picture filmed outdoors, is released.
- 1936Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)