The following events took place on July 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 756An Lushan Rebellion: Emperor Xuanzong flees the capital Chang'an as An Lushan’s forces advance toward the city.
- 1223Louis VIII becomes King of France upon the death of his father, Philip II.
- 1420Battle of Vítkov Hill, decisive victory of Czech Hussite forces commanded by Jan Žižka against Crusade army led by Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
- 1769An expedition led by Gaspar de Portolá establishes a base in California and sets out to find the Port of Monterey (now Monterey, California).
- 1771Foundation of the Mission San Antonio de Padua in modern California by the Franciscan friar Junípero Serra.
- 1789French Revolution: Citizens of Paris storm the Bastille.
- 1789Alexander Mackenzie finally completes his journey to the mouth of the great river he hoped would take him to the Pacific, but which turns out to flow into the Arctic Ocean. Later named after him, the Mackenzie is the second-longest river system in North America.
- 1790French Revolution: Citizens of Paris celebrate the unity of the French people and the national reconciliation in the Fête de la Fédération.
- 1791The Priestley Riots drive Joseph Priestley, a supporter of the French Revolution, out of Birmingham, England.
- 1798The Sedition Act becomes law in the United States making it a federal crime to write, publish, or utter false or malicious statements about the United States government.
- 1853Opening of the first major US world’s fair, the Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations in New York City.
- 1865First ascent of the Matterhorn by Edward Whymper and party, four of whom die on the descent.
- 1874The Chicago Fire of 1874 burns down 47 acres of the city, destroying 812 buildings, killing 20, and resulting in the fire insurance industry demanding municipal reforms from Chicago’s city council.
- 1877The Great Railroad Strike of 1877 begins in Martinsburg, West Virginia, US, when Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers have their wages cut for the second time in a year.
- 1881Billy the Kid is shot and killed by Pat Garrett outside Fort Sumner.
- 1900Armies of the Eight-Nation Alliance capture Tientsin during the Boxer Rebellion.
- 1902The Campanile in St. Mark’s Square, Venice collapses, also demolishing the loggetta.
- 1911Harry Atwood, an exhibition pilot for the Wright brothers lands his airplane at the South Lawn of the White House. He is later awarded a Gold medal from U.S. President William Howard Taft for this feat.
- 1916Start of the Battle of Delville Wood as an action within the Battle of the Somme, which was to last until 3 September 1916.
- 1928New Vietnam Revolutionary Party is founded in Huế amid providing some of the communist party’s most important leaders in its early years.
- 1933Gleichschaltung: In Germany, all political parties are outlawed except the Nazi Party.
- 1933The Nazi eugenics begins with the proclamation of the Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Diseased Offspring that calls for the compulsory sterilization of any citizen who suffers from alleged genetic disorders.
- 1943In Diamond, Missouri, the George Washington Carver National Monument becomes the first United States National Monument in honor of an African American.
- 1948Palmiro Togliatti, leader of the Italian Communist Party, is shot and wounded near the Italian Parliament.
- 1950Korean War: North Korean troops initiate the Battle of Taejon.
- 1957Rawya Ateya takes her seat in the National Assembly of Egypt, thereby becoming the first female parliamentarian in the Arab world.
- 1958Iraqi Revolution: In Iraq the monarchy is overthrown by popular forces led by Abd al-Karim Qasim, who becomes the nation’s new leader.
- 1960Jane Goodall arrives at the Gombe Stream Reserve in present-day Tanzania to begin her famous study of chimpanzees in the wild.
- 1965The Mariner 4 flyby of Mars takes the first close-up photos of another planet.
- 1969Football War: After Honduras loses a soccer match against El Salvador, riots break out in Honduras against Salvadoran migrant workers.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)