The following events took place on May 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 71 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 334 BCThe Macedonian army of Alexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of the Granicus.
- 853A Byzantine fleet sacks and destroys undefended Damietta in Egypt.
- 1176The Hashshashin (Assassins) attempt to murder Saladin near Aleppo.
- 1200King John of England and King Philip II of France sign the Treaty of Le Goulet.
- 1246Henry Raspe is elected anti-king of the Kingdom of Germany, in opposition to Conrad IV.
- 1254Serbian King Stefan Uroš I and the Republic of Venice sign a peace treaty.
- 1377Pope Gregory XI issues five papal bulls to denounce the doctrines of English theologian John Wycliffe.
- 1455Start of the Wars of the Roses: At the First Battle of St Albans, Richard, Duke of York, defeats and captures King Henry VI of England.
- 1629Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II and Danish King Christian IV sign the Treaty of Lübeck to end the Danish intervention in the Thirty Years’ War.
- 1762Sweden and Prussia sign the Treaty of Hamburg.
- 1762Trevi Fountain in Rome is officially completed and inaugurated by Pope Clemens XIII.
- 1807A grand jury indicts former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr on a charge of treason.
- 1807Most of the English town of Chudleigh is destroyed by fire.
- 1809On the second and last day of the Battle of Aspern-Essling (near Vienna, Austria), Napoleon I is repelled by an enemy army for the first time.
- 1812Action of 22 May 1812: A small French two-frigate squadron comprising Ariane and Andromaque, returning from a commerce raiding campaign in the Atlantic, meets the 74-gun HMS Northumberland while trying the slip to Lorient through the British blockade.
- 1816A mob in Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, riots over high unemployment and rising grain costs; the rioting spreads to Ely the next day.
- 1819The SS Savannah leaves port at Savannah, Georgia, United States, on a voyage to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The ship arrived at Liverpool, England, on June 20.
- 1826HMS Beagle departs on its first voyage.
- 1840The transportation of British convicts to the New South Wales colony is abolished.
- 1848Slavery is abolished in Martinique.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)