The following events took place on May 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 363The Roman emperor Julian defeats the Sasanian army in the Battle of Ctesiphon, under the walls of the Sasanian capital, but is unable to take the city.
- 1108Battle of Uclés: Almoravid troops under the command of Tamim ibn Yusuf defeat a Castile and León alliance under the command of Prince Sancho Alfónsez.
- 1167Battle of Monte Porzio – A Roman army supporting Pope Alexander III is defeated by Christian of Buch and Rainald of Dassel
- 1176Battle of Legnano: The Lombard League defeats Emperor Frederick I.
- 1328Philip VI is crowned King of France.
- 1414Council of Constance.
- 1453Fall of Constantinople: Ottoman armies under Sultan Mehmed II Fatih capture Constantinople after a 53-day siege, ending the Byzantine Empire.
- 1660English Restoration: Charles II is restored to the throne of England, Scotland and Ireland.
- 1677Treaty of Middle Plantation establishes peace between the Virginia colonists and the local Natives.
- 1727Peter II becomes Czar of Russia.
- 1733The right of Canadians to keep Indian slaves is upheld at Quebec City.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: At the Battle of Waxhaws, the British continue attacking after the Continentals lay down their arms, killing 113 and critically wounding all but 53 that remained.
- 1790Rhode Island becomes the last of the original United States’ colonies to ratify the Constitution and is admitted as the 13th U.S. state.
- 1798United Irishmen Rebellion: Between 300 and 500 United Irishmen are massacred by the British Army in County Kildare, Ireland.
- 1807Mustafa IV became Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and Caliph of Islam.
- 1848Wisconsin is admitted as the 30th U.S. state.
- 1852Jenny Lind leaves New York after her two-year American tour.
- 1861The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce is founded, in Hong Kong.
- 1864Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico arrives in Mexico for the first time.
- 1867The Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 (“the Compromise”) is born through Act 12, which establishes the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- 1868The assassination of Michael Obrenovich III, Prince of Serbia, in Belgrade.
- 1886The pharmacist John Pemberton places his first advertisement for Coca-Cola, which appeared in The Atlanta Journal.
- 1900N'Djamena is founded as Fort-Lamy by the French commander Émile Gentil.
- 1903In the May Coup, Alexander I, King of Serbia, and Queen Draga, are assassinated in Belgrade by the Black Hand (Crna Ruka) organization.
- 1913Igor Stravinsky’s ballet score The Rite of Spring receives its premiere performance in Paris, France, provoking a riot.
- 1914The Ocean liner RMS Empress of Ireland sinks in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence with the loss of 1,024 lives.
- 1918Armenia defeats the Ottoman Army in the Battle of Sardarabad.
- 1919Albert Einstein’s theory of general relativity is tested (later confirmed) by Arthur Eddington and Andrew Claude de la Cherois Crommelin.
- 1919The Republic of Prekmurje is founded.
- 1931Michele Schirru, a citizen of the United States, is executed by Italian military firing squad for intent to kill Benito Mussolini.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!