The following events took place on May 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 363The Roman emperor Julian defeats the Sasanian army in the Battle of Ctesiphon, under the walls of the Sasanian capital, but is unable to take the city.
- 1108Battle of Uclés: Almoravid troops under the command of Tamim ibn Yusuf defeat a Castile and León alliance under the command of Prince Sancho Alfónsez.
- 1167Battle of Monte Porzio – A Roman army supporting Pope Alexander III is defeated by Christian of Buch and Rainald of Dassel
- 1176Battle of Legnano: The Lombard League defeats Emperor Frederick I.
- 1328Philip VI is crowned King of France.
- 1414Council of Constance.
- 1453Fall of Constantinople: Ottoman armies under Sultan Mehmed II Fatih capture Constantinople after a 53-day siege, ending the Byzantine Empire.
- 1660English Restoration: Charles II is restored to the throne of England, Scotland and Ireland.
- 1677Treaty of Middle Plantation establishes peace between the Virginia colonists and the local Natives.
- 1727Peter II becomes Czar of Russia.
- 1733The right of Canadians to keep Indian slaves is upheld at Quebec City.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: At the Battle of Waxhaws, the British continue attacking after the Continentals lay down their arms, killing 113 and critically wounding all but 53 that remained.
- 1790Rhode Island becomes the last of the original United States’ colonies to ratify the Constitution and is admitted as the 13th U.S. state.
- 1798United Irishmen Rebellion: Between 300 and 500 United Irishmen are massacred by the British Army in County Kildare, Ireland.
- 1807Mustafa IV became Sultan of the Ottoman Empire and Caliph of Islam.
- 1848Wisconsin is admitted as the 30th U.S. state.
- 1852Jenny Lind leaves New York after her two-year American tour.
- 1861The Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce is founded, in Hong Kong.
- 1864Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico arrives in Mexico for the first time.
- 1867The Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 (“the Compromise”) is born through Act 12, which establishes the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
- 1868The assassination of Michael Obrenovich III, Prince of Serbia, in Belgrade.
- 1886The pharmacist John Pemberton places his first advertisement for Coca-Cola, which appeared in The Atlanta Journal.
- 1900N'Djamena is founded as Fort-Lamy by the French commander Émile Gentil.
- 1903In the May Coup, Alexander I, King of Serbia, and Queen Draga, are assassinated in Belgrade by the Black Hand (Crna Ruka) organization.
- 1913Igor Stravinsky’s ballet score The Rite of Spring receives its premiere performance in Paris, France, provoking a riot.
- 1914The Ocean liner RMS Empress of Ireland sinks in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence with the loss of 1,024 lives.
- 1918Armenia defeats the Ottoman Army in the Battle of Sardarabad.
- 1919Albert Einstein’s theory of general relativity is tested (later confirmed) by Arthur Eddington and Andrew Claude de la Cherois Crommelin.
- 1919The Republic of Prekmurje is founded.
- 1931Michele Schirru, a citizen of the United States, is executed by Italian military firing squad for intent to kill Benito Mussolini.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)