The following events took place on May 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1092Lincoln Cathedral is consecrated.
- 1386England and Portugal formally ratify their alliance with the signing of the Treaty of Windsor, making it the oldest diplomatic alliance in the world which is still in force.
- 1450'Abd al-Latif (Timurid monarch) is assassinated.
- 1662The figure who later became Mr. Punch made his first recorded appearance in England.
- 1671Thomas Blood, disguised as a clergyman, attempts to steal England’s Crown Jewels from the Tower of London.
- 1726Five men arrested during a raid on Mother Clap’s molly house in London are executed at Tyburn.
- 1763The Siege of Fort Detroit begins during Pontiac’s War against British forces.
- 1864Second Schleswig War: The Danish navy defeats the Austrian and Prussian fleets in the Battle of Heligoland.
- 1865American Civil War: Nathan Bedford Forrest surrenders his forces at Gainesville, Alabama.
- 1865American Civil War: President Andrew Johnson issues a proclamation ending belligerent rights of the rebels and enjoining foreign nations to intern or expel Confederate ships.
- 1873Der Krach: Vienna stock market crash heralds the Long Depression.
- 1874The first horse-drawn bus makes its début in the city of Mumbai, traveling two routes.
- 1877Mihail Kogălniceanu reads, in the Chamber of Deputies, the Declaration of Independence of Romania. This day became the Independence Day of Romania.
- 1877A magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of Peru kills 2,541, including some as far away as Hawaii and Japan.
- 1887Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1904The steam locomotive City of Truro becomes the first steam engine in Europe to exceed 100 mph.
- 1911The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio are placed in the Index of Forbidden Books by the Vatican.
- 1915World War I: Second Battle of Artois between German and French forces.
- 1918World War I: Germany repels Britain’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)