The following events took place on May 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1092Lincoln Cathedral is consecrated.
- 1386England and Portugal formally ratify their alliance with the signing of the Treaty of Windsor, making it the oldest diplomatic alliance in the world which is still in force.
- 1450'Abd al-Latif (Timurid monarch) is assassinated.
- 1662The figure who later became Mr. Punch made his first recorded appearance in England.
- 1671Thomas Blood, disguised as a clergyman, attempts to steal England’s Crown Jewels from the Tower of London.
- 1726Five men arrested during a raid on Mother Clap’s molly house in London are executed at Tyburn.
- 1763The Siege of Fort Detroit begins during Pontiac’s War against British forces.
- 1864Second Schleswig War: The Danish navy defeats the Austrian and Prussian fleets in the Battle of Heligoland.
- 1865American Civil War: Nathan Bedford Forrest surrenders his forces at Gainesville, Alabama.
- 1865American Civil War: President Andrew Johnson issues a proclamation ending belligerent rights of the rebels and enjoining foreign nations to intern or expel Confederate ships.
- 1873Der Krach: Vienna stock market crash heralds the Long Depression.
- 1874The first horse-drawn bus makes its début in the city of Mumbai, traveling two routes.
- 1877Mihail Kogălniceanu reads, in the Chamber of Deputies, the Declaration of Independence of Romania. This day became the Independence Day of Romania.
- 1877A magnitude 8.8 earthquake off the coast of Peru kills 2,541, including some as far away as Hawaii and Japan.
- 1887Buffalo Bill Cody’s Wild West Show opens in London.
- 1901Australia opens its first parliament in Melbourne.
- 1904The steam locomotive City of Truro becomes the first steam engine in Europe to exceed 100 mph.
- 1911The works of Gabriele D'Annunzio are placed in the Index of Forbidden Books by the Vatican.
- 1915World War I: Second Battle of Artois between German and French forces.
- 1918World War I: Germany repels Britain’s second attempt to blockade the port of Ostend, Belgium.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)