The following events took place on October 1. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 80 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 331 BCAlexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of Gaugamela.
- 959Edgar the Peaceful becomes king of all England.
- 1553Coronation of Queen Mary I of England.
- 1787Russians under Alexander Suvorov defeat the Turks at Kinburn.
- 1791First session of the French Legislative Assembly.
- 1795Belgium is conquered by France.
- 1800Spain cedes Louisiana to France via the Treaty of San Ildefonso.
- 1811The first steamboat to sail the Mississippi River arrives in New Orleans.
- 1814Opening of the Congress of Vienna, intended to redraw Europe’s political map after the defeat of Napoleon the previous spring.
- 1827Russo-Persian War: The Russian army under Ivan Paskevich storms Yerevan, ending a millennium of Muslim domination in Armenia.
- 1829South African College is founded in Cape Town, South Africa; it will later separate into the University of Cape Town and the South African College Schools.
- 1832Texian political delegates convened at San Felipe de Austin to petition for changes in the governance of Mexican Texas.
- 1843The News of the World tabloid begins publication in London.
- 1854The watch company founded in 1850 in Roxbury by Aaron Lufkin Dennison relocates to Waltham, Massachusetts, to become the Waltham Watch Company, a pioneer in the American system of watch manufacturing.
- 1880John Philip Sousa becomes leader of the United States Marine Band.
- 1880First electric lamp factory is opened by Thomas Edison.
- 1887Balochistan is conquered by the British Empire.
- 1890Yosemite National Park is established by the U.S. Congress.
- 1891In California, Stanford University opens its doors.
- 1898The Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration is founded under the name k.u.k. Exportakademie.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)