The following events took place on September 21. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 455Emperor Avitus enters Rome with a Gallic army and consolidates his power.
- 1170Combined English and Irish forces, under the command of Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke and Diarmait Mac Murchada, King of Leinster seize Norse-Gaelic Dublin, forcing Ascall mac Ragnaill, King of Dublin into exile.
- 1217Livonian Crusade: The Estonian leader Lembitu and Livonian leader Kaupo the Accursed are killed in Battle of Matthew’s Day.
- 1435The Congress of Arras causes Burgundy to switch sides in the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1745Battle of Prestonpans: A Hanoverian army under the command of Sir John Cope is defeated, in ten minutes, by the Jacobite forces of Prince Charles Edward Stuart
- 1776Part of New York City is burned shortly after being occupied by British forces.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: Benedict Arnold gives the British the plans to West Point.
- 1792French Revolution: The National Convention declares France a republic and abolishes the absolute monarchy.
- 1843John Williams Wilson takes possession of the Strait of Magellan on behalf of the newly independent Chilean government.
- 1860Second Opium War: An Anglo-French force defeats Chinese troops at the Battle of Palikao.
- 1896Mahdist War: British forces under the command of Horatio Kitchener takes Dongola in the Sudan.
- 1897The “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” editorial is published in the New York Sun.
- 1898Empress Dowager Cixi seizes power and ends the Hundred Days’ Reform in China.
- 1921A storage silo in Oppau, Germany, explodes, killing 500-600 people.
- 1933Salvador Lutteroth ran the first ever EMLL (now CMLL) show in Mexico, marking the birth of Lucha libre
- 1934A large typhoon hits western Honshū, Japan, killing 3,036 people.
- 1937J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit is published.
- 1938The Great Hurricane of 1938 makes landfall on Long Island in New York. The death toll is estimated at 500-700 people.
- 1939Romanian Prime Minister Armand Călinescu is assassinated by far-right legionnaires of the fascist paramilitary organization Iron Guard.
- 1942The Holocaust: On the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, Nazis send over 1,000 Jews of Pidhaitsi (west Ukraine) to Bełżec extermination camp.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)