The following events took place on September 21. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 455Emperor Avitus enters Rome with a Gallic army and consolidates his power.
- 1170Combined English and Irish forces, under the command of Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke and Diarmait Mac Murchada, King of Leinster seize Norse-Gaelic Dublin, forcing Ascall mac Ragnaill, King of Dublin into exile.
- 1217Livonian Crusade: The Estonian leader Lembitu and Livonian leader Kaupo the Accursed are killed in Battle of Matthew’s Day.
- 1435The Congress of Arras causes Burgundy to switch sides in the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1745Battle of Prestonpans: A Hanoverian army under the command of Sir John Cope is defeated, in ten minutes, by the Jacobite forces of Prince Charles Edward Stuart
- 1776Part of New York City is burned shortly after being occupied by British forces.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: Benedict Arnold gives the British the plans to West Point.
- 1792French Revolution: The National Convention declares France a republic and abolishes the absolute monarchy.
- 1843John Williams Wilson takes possession of the Strait of Magellan on behalf of the newly independent Chilean government.
- 1860Second Opium War: An Anglo-French force defeats Chinese troops at the Battle of Palikao.
- 1896Mahdist War: British forces under the command of Horatio Kitchener takes Dongola in the Sudan.
- 1897The “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” editorial is published in the New York Sun.
- 1898Empress Dowager Cixi seizes power and ends the Hundred Days’ Reform in China.
- 1921A storage silo in Oppau, Germany, explodes, killing 500-600 people.
- 1933Salvador Lutteroth ran the first ever EMLL (now CMLL) show in Mexico, marking the birth of Lucha libre
- 1934A large typhoon hits western Honshū, Japan, killing 3,036 people.
- 1937J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit is published.
- 1938The Great Hurricane of 1938 makes landfall on Long Island in New York. The death toll is estimated at 500-700 people.
- 1939Romanian Prime Minister Armand Călinescu is assassinated by far-right legionnaires of the fascist paramilitary organization Iron Guard.
- 1942The Holocaust: On the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, Nazis send over 1,000 Jews of Pidhaitsi (west Ukraine) to Bełżec extermination camp.
- 1942In Poland, at the end of Yom Kippur, Germans order Jews to permanently evacuate Konstantynów and move to the ghetto in Biała Podlaska, established to assemble Jews from seven nearby towns, including Janów Podlaski, Rossosz and Terespol.
- 1942In Dunaivtsi, Ukraine, Nazis murder 2,588 Jews.
- 1942The Boeing B-29 Superfortress makes its maiden flight.
- 1953Lieutenant No Kum-sok, a North Korean pilot, defects to South Korea and is associated with Operation Moolah.
- 1961Maiden flight of the Boeing CH-47 Chinook transportation helicopter.
- 1964Malta gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1964The North American XB-70 Valkyrie, the world’s first Mach 3 bomber, makes its maiden flight from Palmdale, California.
- 1965The Gambia, Maldives and Singapore are admitted as members of the United Nations.
- 1971Bahrain, Bhutan and Qatar join the United Nations.
- 1972Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos signs Proclamation № 1081, placing the entire country under martial law and marking the beginning of his authoritarian rule.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)