The following events took place on September 23. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1122Pope Callixtus II and Holy Roman Emperor Henry V agree to the Concordat of Worms to put an end to the Investiture Controversy.
- 1338The Battle of Arnemuiden was the first naval battle of the Hundred Years’ War and the first naval battle using artillery, as the English ship Christofer had three cannon and one hand gun.
- 1409Battle of Kherlen, the second significant victory over Ming dynasty China by the Mongols since 1368.
- 1459Battle of Blore Heath, the first major battle of the English Wars of the Roses, is fought at Blore Heath in Staffordshire.
- 1568Spanish naval forces rout an English fleet, under the command of John Hawkins, at the Battle of San Juan de Ulúa near Veracruz.
- 1641The Merchant Royal, carrying a treasure worth over a billion US dollars, is lost at sea off Land’s End.
- 1642First commencement exercises occur at Harvard College.
- 1779American Revolution: John Paul Jones on board the USS Bonhomme Richard wins the Battle of Flamborough Head.
- 1780American Revolution: British Major John André is arrested as a spy by American soldiers exposing Benedict Arnold’s change of sides.
- 1803Second Anglo-Maratha War: Battle of Assaye between the British East India Company and the Maratha Empire in India.
- 1806Lewis and Clark return to St. Louis after exploring the Pacific Northwest of the United States.
- 1821Tripolitsa, Greece, is captured by Greek rebels during the Greek War of Independence.
- 1845The Knickerbockers Baseball Club, the first baseball team to play under the modern rules, is founded in New York.
- 1846Astronomers Urbain Jean Joseph Le Verrier, John Couch Adams and Johann Gottfried Galle collaborate on the discovery of Neptune.
- 1868Grito de Lares (“Lares Revolt”) occurs in Puerto Rico against Spanish rule.
- 1889Nintendo Koppai (Later Nintendo Company, Limited) is founded by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce and market the playing card game Hanafuda.
- 1899American Asiatic Squadron destroys a Filipino battery at the Battle of Olongapo.
- 1905Norway and Sweden sign the “Karlstad treaty”, peacefully dissolving the Union between the two countries.
- 1908University of Alberta in Alberta, Canada, is founded.
- 1909The Phantom of the Opera (original title: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra), a novel by French writer Gaston Leroux, is first published as a serialization in Le Gaulois.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)