The following events took place on September 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 46 BCJulius Caesar dedicates a temple to his mythical ancestor Venus Genetrix in accordance with a vow he made at the battle of Pharsalus.
- 715Ragenfrid defeats Theudoald at the Battle of Compiègne.
- 1087William II is crowned King of England, and reigns until 1100.
- 1212Golden Bull of Sicily is issued to confirm the hereditary royal title in Bohemia for the Přemyslid dynasty.
- 1345Friso-Hollandic Wars: Frisians defeat Holland in the Battle of Warns.
- 1371Serbian–Turkish wars: The forces of the Ottoman sultan Murad I’s lieutenant Lala Şahin Pasha and the Serbian army under the command of Vukašin Mrnjavčević and Jovan Uglješa clash at the Battle of Maritsa.
- 1493Pope Alexander VI issues the papal bull Dudum siquidem to the Catholic Monarchs, extending the grant of new lands he made them in Inter caetera
- 1580Sir Francis Drake finishes his circumnavigation of the Earth.
- 1687The Parthenon in Athens is partially destroyed by an explosion caused by the bombing from Venetian forces led by Morosini who are besieging the Ottoman Turks stationed in Athens.
- 1687The city council of Amsterdam votes to support William of Orange’s invasion of England, which became the Glorious Revolution.
- 1777American Revolution: British troops occupy Philadelphia.
- 1789Thomas Jefferson is appointed the first United States Secretary of State, John Jay is appointed the first Chief Justice of the United States, Samuel Osgood is appointed the first United States Postmaster General, and Edmund Randolph is appointed the first United States Attorney General.
- 1792Marc-David Lasource begins accusing Maximilien Robespierre of wanting a dictatorship for France.
- 1810A new Act of Succession is adopted by the Riksdag of the Estates and Jean Baptiste Bernadotte becomes heir to the Swedish throne.
- 1872The first Shriners Temple (called Mecca) is established in New York City.
- 1907New Zealand and Newfoundland each become dominions within the British Empire.
- 1910Indian journalist Swadeshabhimani Ramakrishna Pillai is arrested after publishing criticism of the government of Travancore and exiled.
- 1914The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is established by the Federal Trade Commission Act.
- 1917World War I: The Battle of Polygon Wood begins.
- 1918World War I: The Meuse-Argonne Offensive, the bloodiest single battle in American history, begins.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)